British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tommo

Years of non minting

Guest Tommo

Hi All

I have a collection of coins minted each year for every denomination since decimalisation in 1971.

Does anybody know if there were years when certain coins were not minted? I have a small number I have not been able to (as yet) and was wondering whether they are even in existance?

Also, been doing some research.....by my reakoning, the old one pennie was minted between 1860 & 1970. Is this correct as I also have a collection of these, at present 22 different years of the 110 I believe may have existed?

I'm quite new to all this, so any knowledge on points above would be appreciated.

Regards

Hi All

I have a collection of coins minted each year for every denomination since decimalisation in 1971.

Does anybody know if there were years when certain coins were not minted? I have a small number I have not been able to (as yet) and was wondering whether they are even in existance?

Also, been doing some research.....by my reakoning, the old one pennie was minted between 1860 & 1970. Is this correct as I also have a collection of these, at present 22 different years of the 110 I believe may have existed?

I'm quite new to all this, so any knowledge on points above would be appreciated.

Regards

Off the top of my head there were no pennies for 1876, 1877-80, 1883-94, 1923-25, 1941-43 and 1955-60

And no farthings minted in 1870, 1871, 1877 & 1889..oh and they were only minted up to 1956

Edited by Colin G.

And as for decimal coins, they were minted every year (apart from some that came later on and the half pence that ended!) but many of the 70/80s dates especially were just struck to go into year sets and not made for general circulation. So they exist, but can be hard to find.

Unless one wants to pony up the 8 pounds or so for a mint set.....

There are no 1972 currency coins, except the 25p Silver Wedding crown. Which is why the proof set for that year is more expensive than any other early decimal proof set.

BU sets didn't appear until 1982, so there are only proofs to fill any gaps before then.

There were actually pennies minted for each year between 1860 and 1922. None were minted in 1968, 1969 (well, they were, but were dated 1967).

If you fight your way through the Royal Mints dreadful website you may after some time find a couple of pages that list mintage figures by year for decimal coins since 1968. I warn you though, its going to try your patience!