British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
chris

1897 one penny high tide variation

hello everyone

i have recently found a penny while metal detecting this is to be an 1897 one penny i would say at least vf condition preserved well in the ground due to clay like soil.

i have cleaned the coin up and was about to put it in with the rest of me penny finds and found that it was a high tide variation thanks to mr perkins,s collectors coins gb 2009, which in every coin i find i checkup with this book, i have looked on fleabay for this item but cannot find one for sale. does anyone have a clue on its value or any interest in this coin

thanks everyone

hello everyone

i have recently found a penny while metal detecting this is to be an 1897 one penny i would say at least vf condition preserved well in the ground due to clay like soil.

i have cleaned the coin up and was about to put it in with the rest of me penny finds and found that it was a high tide variation thanks to mr perkins,s collectors coins gb 2009, which in every coin i find i checkup with this book, i have looked on fleabay for this item but cannot find one for sale. does anyone have a clue on its value or any interest in this coin

thanks everyone

I definitely have an interest, I've been looking for one for quite a while. But before going further, could you upload a scan of both sides of it (or a photo)? Many thanks!

I have one - GF pulled from circulation many years ago.

I've never seen another, and its very hard to spot on a poor photo of a worn coin.

I've never seen another, and its very hard to spot on a poor photo of a worn coin.

The dead giveaway is the word O N E - on the normal one, the N is closer to the E than the O, and at a slightly strange angle. On the high tide it's more in alignment. Anyway, I'm hoping chris puts up his pictures of his penny before too long, then I can decide whether to make him an offer.

hi again sorry ive bin away for a while my internet had gone down

i am trying to upload a photo of the coin but am getting no luck. my coin isnt in as good condition as the one above as its been in the ground for well..... quite a while and little bits of the edge has broken away due to verdi. the detail of the coin though i would say is very good and still retains a lot of detail on both sides.

after looking at the uploaded photo there might be a chance that it isnt the high tide aswell. doh!!!

i will keep trying to upload the photo though

post-4691-1255259218_thumb.jpg

Here's mine for comparison.....

Nice! :)

hi again sorry ive bin away for a while my internet had gone down

i am trying to upload a photo of the coin but am getting no luck. my coin isnt in as good condition as the one above as its been in the ground for well..... quite a while and little bits of the edge has broken away due to verdi. the detail of the coin though i would say is very good and still retains a lot of detail on both sides.

after looking at the uploaded photo there might be a chance that it isnt the high tide aswell. doh!!!

i will keep trying to upload the photo though

I think ur right chris - it doesn't look like a HT. The other sign to look for is how close the shield is to the border teeth, bottom left. if there is any kind of a gap, it's the normal variety. But despite the green patination yours is still in quite a nice preserved state.

wow

• Like 1

Guest HollieBun6

Hi,, I have a 1897 large one penny coin, it has a small hole at the top. Doesanyone know if it is of value?

18 minutes ago, Guest HollieBun6 said:

Hi,, I have a 1897 large one penny coin, it has a small hole at the top. Doesanyone know if it is of value?

Unlikely. Only if it is one of two rare types - the one described in this thread, and another where there is a raised dot between the O and N of ONE. Even then the hole at the top would severely detract even if the coin were in top condition.

You could perhaps upload a pic, but don't hold your breath on value. 

On 10/10/2009 at 9:25 PM, davidrj said:

That's very true, David. On many pics, you struggle to see the tide at all, let alone whether low or high. 

On 10/11/2009 at 6:53 AM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

1897_F_148_High_Tide_r.jpg

Pure class !!!

• Like 1

I can't pass up the chance to show mine off :ph34r:

1.png

Sorry 'bout the quality

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That's very true, David. On many pics, you struggle to see the tide at all, let alone whether low or high. 

P of Penny to Gap is easier to spot Mike :)

25 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

P of Penny to Gap is easier to spot Mike :)

Good thinking, Pete. Peckris mentioned a similar principle up thread, I notice.  

Edited by 1949threepence

Have you got one or looking for a good  one Mike ?.

Alfnail had one not long ago (IAN) although he may of sold it and i know someone selling a decent one A/UNC in a slab.

Pete.

• Like 1

I sold that one several months back Pete, the only other one I have is the one I have just pictured and posted this morning on the 'More Pennies' thread, illustrating the teeth count differences between high tide and normal tide (173 compared to 163) as perhaps an alternative method for differentiating between the two types where one is uncertain of the other features.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Have you got one or looking for a good  one Mike ?.

Alfnail had one not long ago (IAN) although he may of sold it and i know someone selling a decent one A/UNC in a slab.

Pete.

I don't have one Pete, and it is something I will eventually turn my attention to. But it isn't a priority at this stage of the game. Thanks for asking.

Incidentally, talking about 1897 in general, anybody noticed this really nice Freeman 147 at the imminent LCA?   

11 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I don't have one Pete, and it is something I will eventually turn my attention to. But it isn't a priority at this stage of the game. Thanks for asking.

Incidentally, talking about 1897 in general, anybody noticed this really nice Freeman 147 at the imminent LCA?   

I'd seen that one Mike but looks to be some pitting near the E in ONE. Can't really tell from pictures though would need to verify in hand.

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I'd seen that one Mike but looks to be some pitting near the E in ONE. Can't really tell from pictures though would need to verify in hand.

Yes Matt, that definitely looks like pitting. Also there is a carbon spot close to the N of ONE.

When I say "really nice", I mean comparatively speaking, given you don't often see them better than fine.  

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes Matt, that definitely looks like pitting. Also there is a carbon spot close to the N of ONE.

When I say "really nice", I mean comparatively speaking, given you don't often see them better than fine.  

Sorry, yes it's definitely really nice! The pitting doesn't detract too much, does it spread like verdigris or is it dormant like carbon spots?

3 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Sorry, yes it's definitely really nice! The pitting doesn't detract too much, does it spread like verdigris or is it dormant like carbon spots?

No, not at all. I agree with you :)

Not sure about the scientifics of pitting. I'd imagine it is a specific response to a given environmental factor - possibly water. Once that factor is removed via placing the coin in a warm, dry setting, there would be no further spread.  But not sure. Maybe somebody else can fill us in on this one?    

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

No, not at all. I agree with you :)

Not sure about the scientifics of pitting. I'd imagine it is a specific response to a given environmental factor - possibly water. Once that factor is removed via placing the coin in a warm, dry setting, there would be no further spread.  But not sure. Maybe somebody else can fill us in on this one?    

Makes sense, not sure if it's the sort of thing that you'd 'treat' as such or like you say just removed from the bad situation.

yes, somebody help us please B)

On 12/2/2016 at 9:55 AM, Nordle11 said:

Nobody ever did answer this question. Does anybody happen to know? Thanks in advance.