British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mike79

1 farthing 1864

Hello everybody, this is my first post and hope not the last one, I'm from Poland but now I'm living in Northern Ireland, I started collecting coins over 10 years ago, mostly Polish, German, Russian but now I started my adventure with British coin. I brought from Poland one British coin knowing almost nothing about her, but now when I'm looking on the 43rd edition of standard catalogue of british coin its look like she is worth something. Someone can tell if I'm wrong?

post-4882-1252434125_thumb.jpg

Hello everybody, this is my first post and hope not the last one, I'm from Poland but now I'm living in Northern Ireland, I started collecting coins over 10 years ago, mostly Polish, German, Russian but now I started my adventure with British coin. I brought from Poland one British coin knowing almost nothing about her, but now when I'm looking on the 43rd edition of standard catalogue of british coin its look like she is worth something. Someone can tell if I'm wrong?

post-4882-1252434125_thumb.jpg

Hi mike - welcome to the forums :)

It is very difficult to make out that date - all the rest of the legend seems fairly clear. That third digit COULD be a '6', or it could perhaps be a '5'. You would want to maybe have the coin looked at under a powerful magnifier, and maybe also send it up to the Curator at the Royal Mint to see if you can get further identification.

If it did turn out to be 1864 and you got some authentication, it could be worth quite a bit.

Thanks for the answer Peckris, I'm sure about the date is 1864 on 100% just picture isn't perfect, can You tell me what can be the value of this coin?

Many thanks Mike

Thanks for the answer Peckris, I'm sure about the date is 1864 on 100% just picture isn't perfect, can You tell me what can be the value of this coin?

Many thanks Mike

If it really is 1864, and you got it authenticated, then it would have to go to auction. What it would fetch is just speculation, as the 1864 copper farthing is an extremely rare proof. But in that condition? I really don't know.

Grr, double entry :angry:

Edited by Peckris

Here is a link to a photo of the 1864 copper farthing which will be appearing in an upcoming Colin Cooke auction:

link

would it be that worn they were taken out of circulation in 1869

i have a similar situation with a worn farthing... could be 186- or 185-

Edited by scott

would it be that worn they were taken out of circulation in 1869

i have a similar situation with a worn farthing... could be 186- or 185-

The copper farthings were only produced up to 1859, with handful of 1860 and 1864 farthings produced, but they were not for circulation. I would be amazed if such a rare none circulation coin had ended up being subject to that much circulation. Not impossible but certainly unlikely. The 1864 farthings also have a raised I before the incuse WW.

I think you would struggle to get a positive attribution on a coin in that condition.

Thanks Guys for all suggestions, I can only add one thing to my first post, this coin is a metal detection find, that is the reason why is so worn, found on a battlefield from IWW, maybe a British soldier hold this coin for luck, there is many possible ways how she ended such a long trip in Polish soil. Anyway I will send this coin to the Curator at the Royal Mint,and after that I will let you know how the things looks like. Once again thanks for help.

Mike

I would be amazed if such a rare none circulation coin had ended up being subject to that much circulation. Not impossible but certainly unlikely.

True - but I'm always amazed that a unique 1952 halfcrown spent 15 years in circulation before being spotted. It just goes to show ...

and dont forget the 1954 penny found in change...

i have seen a circulated 1953 penny on ebay too

and dont forget the 1954 penny found in change...

i have seen a circulated 1953 penny on ebay too

Scott,

Is that circulated penny you noticed on ebay by any chance the altered 1933 penny that DaveG38 spotted on ebay which realized £500?

33 penny

I would be amazed if such a rare none circulation coin had ended up being subject to that much circulation. Not impossible but certainly unlikely.

True - but I'm always amazed that a unique 1952 halfcrown spent 15 years in circulation before being spotted. It just goes to show ...

Older collectors have told me of the 'pocket piece' - a coin which through any reason, usually for being unusual is pulled out of circulation and kept in a pocket/purse for years and years and... Explains a lot of unusually badly worn coins - including a 'Fair-' wreath crown that I kept for many years (not in my pocket I would hasten to add!)

no it was a 1953 penny i saw... looked like it had been used in circulation from that period

no it was a 1953 penny i saw... looked like it had been used in circulation from that period

I've seen quite a few well circulated 1953 pennies on e bay. There were just over a million minted, so there is no reason to suppose they didn't circulate in a similar manner to say, the 1951 threepence, or the 1952 sixpence, which are of similar mintage.

I've seen quite a few well circulated 1953 pennies on e bay. There were just over a million minted, so there is no reason to suppose they didn't circulate in a similar manner to say, the 1951 threepence, or the 1952 sixpence, which are of similar mintage.

Yup. The only 1950s penny I ever found as a schoolboy was a NVF 1953. And when dealing, I would say that 1953s in F - VF were nearly as common as EF or higher. Those plastic sets probably cost little more than face value in 1953, and as they were just ordinary currency coins (not like the modern BU sets), the temptation to crack 'em and spend 'em when times got hard must have been quite high.

only 1953's at my dealer are EF... one i bought is that grade and nicely toned too.

only 1953's at my dealer are EF... one i bought is that grade and nicely toned too.

Your dealer may be reluctant to sell them in any lower grade than EF - possibly he puts them in a £1 or £2 tray when he goes to fairs. You were wise to go for a higher grade.

the toned one was £2... there was a lustrous one at £3... the toned one is a bit more interesting

no sign of low graders, i'm guessing he would put em out at 50p though, although i have found some odd stuff in bargain bins (1928 EF irish 1d with some lustre?, 1770's forgery offstrike halfpenny both 10p each? ,1728 6D in fair at 25p, and a few scarce foreign pieces at 10p or 25p)

always wanted a 1953 penny, seems i have slowly built the set of 1953's myself

netted an AUNC scarce variaty farthing for 25p not long ago there too, think i'm missing the florin or scottish shilling :/.

and onto the farthing again. having had a look on ebay i have seen similar wear on coins from the early-mid 1850's i had a look at mine again and it could be 183- dont forget 1838's

My understanding is all 1953 pennies were issued in sealed PVC folders with the other coins of that year so in that sense they are different. Doesn't mean they couldn't be cut open and spent though.

My understanding is all 1953 pennies were issued in sealed PVC folders with the other coins of that year so in that sense they are different. Doesn't mean they couldn't be cut open and spent though.

Ah right, so there were none released for general circulation as such. Those that found their way out, must have been from sets cracked open. I bet there were quite a few of those, as Peck suggests.

Didn't realise that. Thanks RR B)

always wanted a 1953 penny, seems i have slowly built the set of 1953's myself

netted an AUNC scarce variaty farthing for 25p not long ago there too, think i'm missing the florin or scottish shilling :/.

You will have no trouble with the shilling, they are quite common in Unc. The florin is a bit more difficult, but it's easily the easiest Elizabeth II florin of the 1950s. I just checked mine, and I have two. But as they are both different obverse types, I think I will keep them for now!