British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Rotograpic.co.uk P2

Chris, this looks so much better.

I'll post some more comments when I have time - particularly regarding further penny varieties to consider including and whether it's helpful to include the 'noted' prices which for me break up the flow/layout - but I noticed these typos

P1518 Large dateno W.W. - missing space

1860 and 1861 reverse types: (These very minor varieties can only be identified with higher

drade coins, and it can be very difficult without a few pennies for comparison purposes!)

BRITANNIA) REFER

READER TO PECK

SOMEHOW - next to 1874 pennies, should be Freeman anyway ?

GEORGE V, Bronze 31mm (obverse/reverse and mint letter informa-

tion can be found on the next page)

1911 23,079,168 (1+A) £4 £8 £15/£22

1911 Hollow neck (see page 6)

A veiled head Victorian and

an Edward VII penny. The - the ref to page 6 refers to what ?

Chris, this looks so much better.

I'll post some more comments when I have time - particularly regarding further penny varieties to consider including and whether it's helpful to include the 'noted' prices which for me break up the flow/layout - but I noticed these typos

P1518 Large dateno W.W. - missing space

1860 and 1861 reverse types: (These very minor varieties can only be identified with higher

drade coins, and it can be very difficult without a few pennies for comparison purposes!)

BRITANNIA) REFER

READER TO PECK

SOMEHOW - next to 1874 pennies, should be Freeman anyway ?

GEORGE V, Bronze 31mm (obverse/reverse and mint letter informa-

tion can be found on the next page)

1911 23,079,168 (1+A) £4 £8 £15/£22

1911 Hollow neck (see page 6)

A veiled head Victorian and

an Edward VII penny. The - the ref to page 6 refers to what ?

Thanks Custard,

I know what you mean abou the 'noted', I took a few of those away that were old and not relevant. The newer ones may stay, i haven't decided.

The red 'Refer to Peck somehow' will indeed be replaced by 'Freeman', it's in red to remind me to change it, when I get a Freeman.

The reference to page 6 as well will be changed, I wanted to change those at the end, when I was sure what pages things were on, or not on.

I know what you mean abou the 'noted', I took a few of those away that were old and not relevant. The newer ones may stay, i haven't decided.

Thanks Chris,

I'd gladly trade the 'noted' for a few more varieties.

I can't really see the point of the noted prices.

Having more varieties listed would be an important differentiator compared to other catalogues.

some of the victorian coins say 19-- instead of 18-- (page 6 - 1975/2 H farthing instead of 1875 :) )

On the t.p. I think NON GOLD should be hyphenated as NON-GOLD.

Thanks, changes made. (not in the pfd, in the master Adobe Pagemaker file)

Just looked at the PDF file....WOW, looks really good! I like the more crisp layout as the 2004 is hard to use because it is so cluttered. It is not yet as refined as I would like to see it, but you are making great strides!

In the 1960s there was a book published in the US on British coins that had a superb layout. The title was "A Guide Book of English Coins" by Ken Bressett. I have the 1968 edition and still use it from time to time for info like mintage figures. I believe I can find you a copy of it if you would like it for ideas Chris. If so just let me know.

Just looked at the PDF file....WOW, looks really good! I like the more crisp layout as the 2004 is hard to use because it is so cluttered. It is not yet as refined as I would like to see it, but you are making great strides!

In the 1960s there was a book published in the US on British coins that had a superb layout. The title was "A Guide Book of English Coins" by Ken Bressett. I have the 1968 edition and still use it from time to time for info like mintage figures. I believe I can find you a copy of it if you would like it for ideas Chris. If so just let me know.

I have the 1964 edition, it's small compact (and smells of old book). I'll certainly dig mine out for ideas.

may i ask what:

raised rnldrlbs

are on page 19 of the pdf file? ;)

...Also, shouldn't the example pictures be the same size to the nex one eg: page 18.pdf, an example of a toothed rim border, and, a beaded rim border, the first picture is bigger, i think that they should be the same size :)

Edited by Master Jmd

Aha, a few more for you, Chris!

Page 17 - For 1858 penny, there is no space between "Large dateno W.W."

Page 18 - "These very minor varieties can only be identified with higher drade coins"

Edited by Emperor Oli

I think he's already in England for the coin fair..........................

In that case, they're here for his return.

I think he's already in England for the coin fair..........................

Wish I was! :(

I wish i was in London for the fair too! :(

Chris,

Farthings

Having searched hundreds of 1866 farthings I have now seen four examples with "RFG" instead of "REG." I think it is time that this would be noted.

The Bun Head Obverse 4 heading (page 6) should be placed above the date 1874H instead of 1872. The dates should be sorted thus:

Obverse 3:

1875 (large date)

1875 (small date, no "H")

1875H (extremely rare)

Obverse 4:

1874H

1875H (all common varieties)

1876H, etc

In two cases, the 1875H is shown as "1975H."

Broken "F" on 1882H is the common variety. It should now be assumed that the prices shown for the unbroken F are in fact those representing the broken F. A large number of these have been sold both by Colin Cooke and Laurie Bamford.

Obverse 5 should be indicated for bun head dates 1880-1895. There are, of course, mixes of Obverse 4 and Obverse 5 for dates 1880 and 1881.

Over the past several years the entry for 1913 went missing. I see in your pdf this is still the case.

1915 varieties "BRITT" and "BRIT T" are both shown as "BRIT T"

The common one is "BRIT T"

Don't know why, but this jumped out at me: 1919 mintage 15,089,425 has the letter "O" in it.

1936 price format needs fixing.

I'll be back to look at other denominations...

Edited by wybrit

Well you could sort most of them out yourself with 'Collectors Coins GB 2004 (or the 2005 edition if you can wait until I finish it):

http://www.predecimal.com/books/ccgb2004framed.htm

(give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, give him knowledge and equip him and he'll eat for a lifetime!)

You'll probably find that most of them won't be worth very much if they are  circulated/average. The gold coin will be worth a few pounds for bullion value, but it depends on what denomination it is (size in mm needed).

Chirs, isnt that telling the guests too much?

Not at this stage Jmd, as there is news on CC2005 on rotographic.co.uk and it doesn't do any harm if people know about its existance. As long as every Tom, Dick, Harry can't see our secret discussions ;)

Whe will CC2005 be finished Chris? And, when will we be able to buy a copy? :)

Probably september/october, and you lot get free copies don't forget!

Now I have a peck i'm filling in the rather inconsistant peck references, and I'll provide another updated download version soon.

Not at this stage Jmd, as there is news on CC2005 on rotographic.co.uk and it doesn't do any harm if people know about its existance. As long as every Tom, Dick, Harry can't see our secret discussions ;)

ah, right, ok chris :)

Probably september/october, and you lot get free copies don't forget!

Now I have a peck i'm filling in the rather inconsistant peck references, and I'll provide another updated download version soon.

Thanks Chris! :D

(Sorry if I repreat any of the info already caught)

Halfpennies

It would be nice to subdivide the bun head section into the major obverses. The major headings are "quietly" mentioned in dates 1874H and 1883.

1875H - is dated 1875K

1881H - is shown as 18&1H

On page 13, the word should be "differentiate" (unless "differenciate" is a British spelling of the word - been away from the country a long time now).

1967 - I believe the wide rim and narrow rim can be told apart without a direct comparison by looking at pointings. The narrow rim is DEi (obverse pre-1967)

Halfpenny_1967_type1.JPG

and the wide rim is DEÃ (1967, 1970).

Halfpenny_1967_type2.JPG

Edited by wybrit