British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Rotograpic.co.uk P2

Chris, how many coins do you have on the Rotoghraphic database now? :)

he said this:

I'll probably be posting the current database in here, when the time comes, for us all to see, so that we don't repeat ourselves.

Seens sensible...

Chris, how many coins do you have on the Rotoghraphic database now? :)

About 70 different coins and sets are in the British coin database at this stage!

Cool, I didn't realise it was that many :)

yes, that is quite a lot, i have added about 11 coins... :)

Chris,

could you please modify the coin registration form to reorder the tabstops?

I like to tab between the fields but some of the tabstops seem to go nowhere (I'm guessing they go to labels rather than fields)

e.g if you tab out of the denomination field it doesn't take you to the notes field.

This would make data entry much quicker.

Thanks.

Done that....

I know how important the tab order is, and it was right, it was just being affected by the email entry form to the left.

Refresh and it'll work.

Done that....

I know how important the tab order is, and it was right, it was just being affected by the email entry form to the left.

Refresh and it'll work.

Thanks Chris - much better

About 70 different coins and sets are in the British coin database at this stage!

how many coins are there now?

There are about 150 British Coins/set (mostly individual coins) in the Rotographic database now.

Have you decided on some prices yet or are you still gathering information.

Still gathering, there's no point doing any prices until I've finished laying out the book into pdf format (I'm on Page 25).

Still gathering, there's no point doing any prices until I've finished laying out the book into pdf format (I'm on Page 25).

how come Oli said that he has seen the first 20 pages?

I sent him the first 20 pages, because he's a nit picking git and I could think of no one better to proof read it and make me aware of any mistakes :D

I sent him the first 20 pages, because he's a nit picking git and I could think of no one better to proof read it and make me aware of any mistakes :D

well, can we (me, william, HPJ, sylvester, geoff and custard1966) see them?

Yes, I would like to see them! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Seriously, yes please if possible. I'm an editor and proof-reading is something I do a lot of.

I would only like to see them because I am interested in the format you have chosen Chris.

Ok, but it's a 1.9mb download and I'll make it available in a moment:

http://www.rotographic.co.uk/1-21.PDF

That works, but be aware that the printed version will of course be shades of grey, not colour. The prices are just basically from the 2004 version so pay no attention. The text in red is stuff that I know I have to change when it's completed.

The fuzzy edges on the pictures are just on the PDF, when printed they are sharp and round.

thanks chris :)

Chris, it's looking really good. Two points:-

2005 will be the 32nd edition, not the 31st

If you're aiming at an English-speaking audience, then the English spelling "Hanover" is preferable to the German "Hannover".

Chris, it's looking really good. Two points:-

If you're aiming at an English-speaking audience, then the English spelling "Hanover" is preferable to the German "Hannover".

Yes, fine, I'll make sure it's 32nd.

Oli brought up the Hanover thing as well, and I fail to see the problem with having it spelt the German way. It is instanly recognisable however it's spelt as a place in Germany, so why not spell it how the natives spell it and erase the 'Hanover' version from the English language!

Chris, it's looking really good.  Two points:-

Yes, fine, I'll make sure it's 32nd.

Oli brought up the Hanover thing as well, and I fail to see the problem with having it spelt the German way. It is instanly recognisable however it's spelt as a place in Germany, so why not spell it how the natives spell it and erase the 'Hanover' version from the English language!

Hannover is german, its a german name, just like saxe-coburg-gotha.

Has anyone else spotted anymore nitpicks? These are mine:

1) First page

"OVER TWO HUNDRED YEARS OF NON GOLD COINAGE." This has a full-stop at the end whilst other things on the page don't - whether you want to remove the stop (I recommend) or put stops on all the rest is up to you.

Some people would spell Hanover as Hannover. This is how I spell it but many people spell it differently.

I would remove the commas in the paragraph that starts "Photographs of coins...." It makes sense without them and I feel that they fragment it somewhat.

Consider changing the order of names credited in terms of what they have contributed (quality-wise) to the project.

2)Second page

Starts as "Farthings Fractions" but then in the first paragraph, it changes to "Fractional farthings". I'd title it as in the paragraph, "Fractional Farthings".

3)Ninth page

George VI in italics

4)Tenth page

Aaarrghhh the rings, THE RINGS!! I thought these were being removed?

5)Fourteenth page

Not sure what the line between the pictures of the 1921 Ha'penny is for..

The 1808 penny at the bottom - if only one is known, then surely the one sold at Coincraft in 96 is the same one, so no need for the "(same one??)"

8)Seventeenth page

The titles for each monarch/portrait change eg. "VICTORIA Young Head, Date below head, Copper 34mm" not in italics as are the rest from this point.

"Date" in Victoria Young Head title is capitalised, none of the others are.

7)Eighteenth page

At the start of the page, "Bun Head" isn't in speech marks i.e 'Bun Head' as the rest are.

Has anyone else spotted anymore nitpicks?

They won't have, because I'd already implented your nit picks, and included another page (21).

Cunning! There may be some which an experienced guy like Geoff may pick up though.