British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Rotograpic.co.uk P2

The name 'penny master' was due to my old collection and I feel that I should use a name that reflects my new collection.

Custard,

That sounds a sensible addition, can you list all the fixed values for sources of coins that you can think of?

Most people have already been putting 'ebay' or 'Colin Cooke' etc, so it's generally easy to tell what came from where.

Often the prices you see and the prices you pay are two different things. I always give little discounts etc and I'm sure other dealers do too.

Perhaps I will add a distinguishing choice, like 'Coin seen at price' or Coin bought at price'. That would give the scope for the database to be added to just from browsing online lists and I suppose that would fill it much quicker.

Ok, I'll make some db changes soon.

Custard,

That sounds a sensible addition, can you list all the fixed values for sources of coins that you can think of?

Most people have already been putting 'ebay' or 'Colin Cooke' etc, so it's generally easy to tell what came from where.

Often the prices you see and the prices you pay are two different things. I always give little discounts etc and I'm sure other dealers do too.

Perhaps I will add a distinguishing choice, like 'Coin seen at price' or Coin bought at price'. That would give the scope for the database to be added to just from browsing online lists and I suppose that would fill it much quicker.

Ok, I'll make some db changes soon.

The only other category I can think of is a mailing list.

If we just had other, in addition, that would probably cover it - unless anyone else can think of any.

Colin Cooke sells quality coins, but i can't help feeling the prices are a bit high even so, hence why i've abstained from buying anything from there yet.

Colin Cooke sells quality coins, but i can't help feeling the prices are a bit high even so, hence why i've abstained from buying anything from there yet.

I've never bought from him either, I have noticed that the prices are just over catalogue value...

I might try him soon I dunno...

He is quite a good seller with a nice selection of high grade of coins. However, when Chris gets a coin that I need then I would rather bring business his way!

I've only bought Farthing off Cooke and nearly all of them have been under or at catalogue value. Only one of the ten or so I've bought have been over the value listed in Spink's.

I've never bought from him either, I have noticed that the prices are just over catalogue value...

I might try him soon I dunno...

i have never bought off of him either, but i wouldn't say that the coins were over prised, all the pennies seem to be at or just under the catalauge price...you cant count it with some coins; he has a BU full lustre 1806 penny for sale for £225, £50 over the unc. coin value, but this is because of its rarity, it doesn't say extremely rare, but a BU full lustre penny that is over 175 years old is extremely rare to come by...

Those BU full lustre copper coins are hard to come by but there is usually one for sale at any one time either on Ebay or Colin Cooke, it is just a matter of looking.

it is just a matter of looking.

but where to look...

Those BU full lustre copper coins are hard to come by but there is usually one for sale at any one time either on Ebay or Colin Cooke

yes, but the only BU coppers i see are not the ones i want :(

If you save up your money then when you do see one then you will be able to buy it.

i can't speak for the copper, but the Early Milled silver is up there at the top end.

And so is some of the hammered.

I have seen the new improvements to the site, and would like to say how quick you are advancing chris :) ...

---

...and i am pleased that my idea got put on the site :)

Combining the Collectors George III and Collectors Coins Great Britain book has also been talked about.

(sorry couldent edit :( )

Chris - for the rotographic site, why dont you put a page where people can say and post a picture/webpage about an unidentified coin; such as that 1951 crown with the edge inscription, this way your book could be one little step ahed of the big books :) (spink etc...)

...also, chris - can you think about making all the members who are in the 'numismatic research group' able to edit their posts please :) ...

Chris - for the rotographic site, why dont you put a page where people can say and post a picture/webpage about an unidentified coin; such as that 1951 crown with the edge inscription, this way your book could be one little step ahed of the big books :) (spink etc...)

...also, chris - can you think about making all the members who are in the 'numismatic research group' able to edit their posts please :) ...

Point one: Because then the world and his aunt would contact me with crappy 'unidentified' coins that they have not been able to identify by browsing the web for 5 seconds. It would be a waste of my resources because most coins would turn out to be churchill crowns or other very boring coins.

Point two: I'll certainly think about it.

Maybe you could let us post pictures of unidentified coins so we can at least use our knowledge to some extent.

I think Colin Cooke has got that base covered

True, I forgot.

I'm not really concerned about UNI's (Unidentified Numismatic items) at the moment. Any invitation to post pictures or ask questions is just asking for trouble.

This year I'm concentrating on what is already in the book, and getting the prices right.

I'm not really concerned about UNI's (Unidentified Numismatic items) at the moment. Any invitation to post pictures or ask questions is just asking for trouble.

This year I'm concentrating on what is already in the book, and getting the prices right.

yes, i suppose things like this should not really be rushed into...

Edited by Master Jmd

That is the most sensible thing you ever said!

(where is the real Master Jmd?? ;))

That is the most sensible thing you ever said!

(where is the real Master Jmd?? ;))

:lol: ... :( ... :unsure: ... :) ...

i am the real MJMD, and yes, that probably is the most sencible thing ive ever said :D

(sorry, couldn't edit...again :rolleyes: )

I have not seen an advertisement (flash media player) banner/icon for rotographic, it would help if the numismatic research group members could advertise rotographic on their websites (if they have a website unlike me :( )...think, the more people who view the site, the easier the priceing will be :)

This time around I won't be promoting the website all that much, I'll promote it in the 2005 book, and perhaps officially launch it somehow at the same time as the book.

This time around, when I have the 2005 book from Mr Marles I'll use what data and facts I have to update the prices as well as possible, but 2006 will be probably more my work than his. For the 2006 I'll use the data on in the rotographic databases more (and should have more of it) and hopefully start turning the book into 'my own' with the same values and features it always had.

Seens sensible...

Chris, how many coins do you have on the Rotoghraphic database now? :)