British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeCoin

1735 US Colonial Coin...?

Picked this up over the weekend as a curiousity more than anything.

I can find a little out about this but not much, especially value. If anybody can shed any light on about this it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

post-4768-1250262686_thumb.jpg

post-4768-1250262710_thumb.jpg

Mike,

I don't think it is a US Colonial coin, as it is not listed in the Yoeman "Red Book."

Picked this up over the weekend as a curiousity more than anything.

I can find a little out about this but not much, especially value. If anybody can shed any light on about this it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

I think they were produced by the Dutch East India Company, that one being a Duit's (penny). They are thought to have circulated in the US.

i love those things

but yea it possibly could, as the dutch had new york for a time great little cheap coins

they didn't really change design

962780.jpg

962972.jpg

can pick em up for a few quid each, great if you want something from the 1700's :D

If they circulated in the America's it would be a discovery. These coins were made for the Dutch East Indies, ie, their colonies in Indonesia etc.

If they circulated in the America's it would be a discovery. These coins were made for the Dutch East Indies, ie, their colonies in Indonesia etc.

I have seen some sellers describe them as New York pennies, but I guess there is no proof to substantiate this claim?

Sellers wishful thinking or trying to boost the saleability of their items perhaps?

There were Dutch colonies in New York, but only until the Dutch lost the Third Anglo Dutch war of 1672-4, and ceded the colony to the English. Any coins dated after that time are preposterously alleged to be colonial coins.