British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

1918 KN pennies

That you do, well pointed out. Where did you hear/read about this 'crows foot flaw'? I can't find any info on it right now..

And yes, 'tis indeed Mr. Jerrams.

I bought my example in 2002 where it was just described as having 3 lines emerging from the queen's neck but then a similar coin but dated 1878 was sold on Ebay in 2013 (again by Topcarp I think) described as the "crow's foot", and that's all I've ever seen about it, plus Topcarp's current listing. So I think JJ may have christened this flaw but may have never formally documented it.

Thanks R, perhaps the moniker for the GV clashes has been coined off the back of the Victoria 'Crows foot'. I did wonder how on earth it looks like a birds foot in the first place :lol:

I might drop a message to John and see if he has anything more, maybe he read about it somewhere? A big gap between you buying one and then seeing another though!

This one on ebay has the same flaw, and is graded by CGS, so it's strange that they have not picked up on the flaw.

Perhaps the one which you bought Rash was noted by the seller, as opposed to the auction house? Who knows, maybe this is why they don't crop up as much.

Link

Not just a nice example but also a nice obverse! Thanks for sharing R

Beautiful coin Rash, but am I the only one who cringes when I see high grade coins being handled (except by the edges only) without gloves?

Agreed Paulus, edge only when I'm handling mine.

To be fair, this is probably 'low grade' for Rash when comparing to his other coins :lol:

A perfect example of why too, here is my 1913 which is a nice all rounder, but my god look at that fingerprint in the left hand corner.

It was just unnecessary to grab it like that, whoever did it.

post-8244-0-38106200-1446548346_thumb.jp

Yes, I should have bought this - went for about £127 I think. Reasonable for a nice 1867.

Yes, I should have bought this - went for about £127 I think. Reasonable for a nice 1867.

Not my fingers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha :lol: We assumed as much.

And it really does Pete, it's a pain!

Another crow's foot - this time 1867 penny

I have a few... not sure of the dates...

I always called them "Spiked Necks"...

I bought that 1867, Richard, and the photos didnt do it justice, it has already featured on this forum. The marks were a waxy substance, easily flaked off with a cocktail stick . Look under ' more pennies' some time in August.

Jerry

I bought that 1867, Richard, and the photos didnt do it justice, it has already featured on this forum. The marks were a waxy substance, easily flaked off with a cocktail stick . Look under ' more pennies' some time in August.

Jerry

Well done, Jerry.

Re: 1918 KN widths. In David Groom's book my tired old eyes are seeing that he pictures the Wide KN as being 5 teeth wide between the vertical of the K and the RH vertical of the N. The K and N also 'looks' further apart than the Narrow width KN picture, which is 4 teeth between the same K and N verticals (or there a bouts)? Perhaps there are varieties, as with the many date spacing varieties?

Have attached pics of my 1918 KN Bird's foot (complete with sideboards) which also shows the Obv die faults mentioned earlier in this thread. The Rev also shows the trident handle fault, although not as obvious as shown in previous postings.

post-8769-0-74217500-1446658785_thumb.jp

post-8769-0-13594000-1446658830_thumb.jp

That's a nice example, Cliff. Can we see the whole reverse too?

That's a nice example, Cliff. Can we see the whole reverse too?

Pics as requested..Please forgive zilch photographic skills.

post-8769-0-38227900-1446668474_thumb.jp

post-8769-0-48186900-1446668513_thumb.jp

A nice coin Cliff, thanks. Is that blue toning just part of the photo or can you see it in hand too?

A nice coin Cliff, thanks. Is that blue toning just part of the photo or can you see it in hand too?

I'm afraid the blue tone is because of my lack of photographic skill, the coin itself has an attractive dark chocolate hue to it. I don't take many pics and use a microscope when I do. This can lead to the centre of a coin being focussed whilst leaving the outer edges blurred (teeth, date etc). It's also difficult to take natural light only shots and, when using the scope lights, it tends to give the blue reflection.

Suffice to say, I need to experiment with a camera and try to get my act together.

Gotcha, I can see what you mean about the blurred edges too. I have to admit, while the microscope I've got is good for detail, it's not the best for taking 'eye-appealing' pictures with it's bright white light attached.