British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Colin G.

1874H farthing - Sideways O over O in Victoria

My latest purchase, and a farthing error I have never seen before, or even seen recorded. It is an 1874H with the O in Victoria having been repunched sideways. Similar to the G/G but with the O this time. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has seen this variety recorded before. I am unaware of it in any of the Colin Cooke catalogues etc.

It is instantly apparent when holding the coin even without a lens ;)

1874.jpg

1874A.jpg

• Like 2

I've checked all of my 1874-H...all of them are correctly punched. Good find though Colin, I'll start checking the Dealers for them.

Bob C.

I've checked all of my 1874-H...all of them are correctly punched. Good find though Colin, I'll start checking the Dealers for them.

Bob C.

It cost me a fair few quid, so I am hoping there are not too many out there :D

• Like 1

That's a nice find. I couldn't see the same overstrike on any of mine, but I did find this: the C in "Victoria" struck over another C:

Farthing_1874H_C_Obv.JPG

Farthing_1874H_C_Rev.JPG

• Like 2

Ok, not an O over sideways O, nor a G over sideways G, but I have just listed on eBay an 1874H farthing with C over C as per wybrit's post above, if anyone's interested, with this link...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284069502338

I have another one myself, so this one listed is a duplicate, but I don't know how many more have been noted? Not as spectacular as the sideways double entries, but it's there if anyone wants it as a variety!

• Like 2

How do over strikes occur in the minting process? are the individual over struck numbers letters/numbers individually applied by hand in some form of QA check/process after the initial striking of the coin? if so should the really be considered a variety? the reason I ask is, theoretical if it hand struck then you could possibly have endless possibilities/combinations sub varieties to consider. Not that I am distracting for the these anomalies but when collecting a date run for instance should they really be considered a variety or an anomaly?

It is the DIE, not the individual struck coins that are altered/repaired/corrected before more coins are struck from them!

No-one could possibly go about changing each and every coin of the tens of thousands struck by each die!

Besides, any alteration to a coin would be incuse, not in relief. But dies are mirror images of course so an incuse detail on a die becomes a relief detail on a struck coin. Just like potato prints or play dough prints when we were kids!

18 hours ago, Jeff Gunn said:

How do over strikes occur in the minting process? are the individual over struck numbers letters/numbers individually applied by hand in some form of QA check/process after the initial striking of the coin? if so should the really be considered a variety? the reason I ask is, theoretical if it hand struck then you could possibly have endless possibilities/combinations sub varieties to consider. Not that I am distracting for the these anomalies but when collecting a date run for instance should they really be considered a variety or an anomaly?

Why would they strike millions of coins then overstrike each one? No, as Martin says, it's the die that gets recut either to reuse it or to correct an error or to recut wearing characters.

• Like 1

heres a nice Gs over

1874obv.jpg

• Like 2