British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RTRussell

British coins without the Queens head

Guest RTRussell

Hello,

I am not a coin collector personally but I was in Antwerp, Belgium speaking to an Uncle of our Belgium relatives and he asked me if I could help him with his collection. He tells me that there are some British coins (he said pennies, but I think he might mean coins; the conversation was in Dutch so details may of been lost), that do not feature the Queens head. He said that there was a limited production of some coins in 2008. I've searched the net a bit but I can not find any references at all to British coins without the Queens head.

Can anybody help me with this search, or at least confirm that these coins do exist?

Kind regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

If he was talking about 2008 specifically, he may be referring to a limited run of 20 pence pieces, which although they featured the Queen's head, had no date on them. Maybe something was lost in the translation.

Many of these 20p's, thought to number anywhere between about 120,000 and 250,000, have changed hands for ridiculously high amounts of money.

I cannot think of any coins which actually lack an image of the Queen's head on them.

Many pre 1953 coins didn't have the queens head on them. :D

One that does spring to mind it he 1953 crown.

OMG !! Mine are all fakes then - they clearly show the Queen on horseback ... and ... SHE HAS A HEAD ! :o

Indeed, the Queen's whole body, likewise the 1977 Crown.

In fact excluding the Commonwealth Era (for obvious reasons :rolleyes: ) the last English coins issued without a monarch's portrait were either;

Charles I Rose Farthings or Charles I Angels. I know nothing about copper coinage so I can't say when coinage of those ceased but the Angels ended production in 1643, beating the silver halfpenny by one year!

I have a feeling that his contemporaries would have rather depicted Charles I's bottom rather than his head on his coinage. They would have preferred display his head only on a platter.

There's no denying that Charles left a lot to be desired as king, but in my opinion Cromwell turned out to be far worse!

There's no denying that Charles left a lot to be desired as king, but in my opinion Cromwell turned out to be far worse!

Much of that is Restoration propaganda! In just the same way as Tudor propaganda blackened the reputation of Richard III of York, in perpetuity. I think the Irish have most cause to hate Cromwell, but most of the atrocities ascribed to him in Britain were actually perpetrated by Henry VIII.

As often happens in turnovers in government, "same cart, new driver" syndrome. Which in turn led to the restoration in 1660.

Guest Jes

Don’t know how late this is but I found a coin without the queens head from 1983 And I’m wondering if it’s worth anything 

03353038-921D-4EA2-8CBA-F515B7EB7852.png

0254265D-043F-4362-8115-50A2B0F51ABB.png

£1. Even in Guernsey.

1 hour ago, Guest Jes said:

Don’t know how late this is but I found a coin without the queens head from 1983 And I’m wondering if it’s worth anything 

03353038-921D-4EA2-8CBA-F515B7EB7852.png

0254265D-043F-4362-8115-50A2B0F51ABB.png

am not sure if they have also stopped using the £1 coin.  If like me you get to the shops and find yourself consistently without a £1 coin or 1Euro for the #trolley I would keep that one in your car or wallet/purse and you won't be able to spend it  and will not have the frustrating search .  It will then be worth a lot more than £1