British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
scott

1858 small date farthing.

tn_IMG_3612.JPGtn_IMG_3613.JPG

and yes this is one, was reading colin cookes site and said he had seen around 20 or so.

perhaps this was one (i did get it in manchester)

http://www.colincooke.com/coinpages/victcopperissue.html <--- the page the information about 1858 is on.

i just wish to note another "feature" of 1858 SD farthings, the bead below the the last 8 is smaller

and how much is this thing worth?

click for bigger picture, some overstrikes of letters

Edited by scott

tn_IMG_3612.JPGtn_IMG_3613.JPG

and yes this is one, was reading colin cookes site and said he had seen around 20 or so.

perhaps this was one (i did get it in manchester)

http://www.colincooke.com/coinpages/victcopperissue.html <--- the page the information about 1858 is on.

i just wish to note another "feature" of 1858 SD farthings, the bead below the the last 8 is smaller

and how much is this thing worth?

click for bigger picture, some overstrikes of letters

Interesting reading. And a nice rarity you have there scott.

I would ask Neil Paisley about its value - their site might even make an offer! (Unlisted rarities are incredibly difficult to value. It's all down to interest in the end. Compare the 1804 Bank of England dollar with the 1860 bun penny - both have varieties that go from 'common' to 'extremely rare', yet the rare 1804s aren't much different in value from the common ones. Not like the 1860 penny.)

Scott,

The smaller tooth under the 8 in the date is not a definitive way of identifying the small date varieties because it occurs on other 1858 die varieties also, although it is a wierd feature, due to the fact that it repeats on several dies with distinctively different datal arrangements.

I have had six pass through my hands, and they are a scarce variety, although I would state with some confidence that I expect there are several hundred of these floating about.

I have one for sale on my site at the moment, which will give you an idea of price, and I have sold others in the past from £5 in poor condition to about £65 for a decent VF.

Is this the one we have discussed previously or have you got another one? I can confirm it is definitely a small date

Edited by Colin G.

its one i got in my dealers, i acctually got this thing at £5, i'm guessing his book worked on peck and therfore had no small date listed. and in truth, i only got it as a cheap example of a viccy copper series piece (went back there the other day to get a value... he said £7.... might have to show him the book i use lol)

but yea i posted about it before, i got a better picture and after reading about them i thought i would find out more about it, and basically what to do with it, (can it be slabbed as a rare piece or what?) well i will be keeping it, as a farthing collector this is a trophy coin.