British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ777

3 unidentified worn coins just interested

Hi I have 3 coins from a recent car boot purchase

Can anyone identify please ???

Apologies in British if not English as posted in the British section..

Obv and Rev of each coin shown so each two images belong to each coin.

Hopefully someone can help and if anything may be worth a pound ot two even in this condition please let me know!

Thanks Russ777

look like George 2nd... the brown worn one looks like 1732.. i think they are farthings but basing that on a picture to guess the size

, so yea a couple of quid each probably

3rd one is george 3rd, no idea what though

Edited by scott

Thanks . need more help on the George III one

one side says GEORGE III DEI GRATIA and is a large size coin if this helps

I think it may be be some kind of Guinea as these all have DEI GRATIA to reverse???

Thoughts please

Silly mistake cannot be a part guinea as not gold!!!! same kind of design though has words BRITANNNIRUM REX FID I can make out!

DATE i think is not on shield side but below head..

Russ777

Pretty certain this is A Half shilling 1819.

Should I clean to check it is a silver one and not a copy?

Russ777

Hopefully someone can help and if anything may be worth a pound ot two even in this condition please let me know!

Thanks Russ777

The first coin is a Charles II 1672 farthing (or halfpenny). Can't tell from the size, but odds are its a farthing.

The second is a late William III halfpenny, 1699-1701 - can't make out the date.

The third is a counterfeit George III halfcrown, made in brass and then silver washed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Russ777

The first coin is a Charles II 1672 farthing (or halfpenny). Can't tell from the size, but odds are its a farthing.

The second is a late William III halfpenny, 1699-1701 - can't make out the date.

The third is a counterfeit George III halfcrown, made in brass and then silver washed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. Any value whatsoever they are at least old coins?

Thanks Russ777

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. Any value whatsoever they are at least old coins?

Well, only a little. The Charles farthing would raise £3 - £4 - although it's in poor condition, it at least has the date readable and more or less readable legend.

It's barely possible to make out the details on the William III - your only hope would be if it turned out to be an extremely rare variety (usually a lettering error - but as I can make out "GVLIELMVS TERTIVS" that's very unlikely). A pound or two to a collector, no more.

The George III has only interest value.

Worth keeping for interest I'd say - my own numismatic career was sparked by a similar Charles farthing I got from a junk shop when I was still at school !