British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peckris

Two nice rare date buns on eBay - what do you think?

There's a couple of nice rare date bun pennies on eBay right now.

This VF 1871 : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_3594wt_1008 (which may have finished by the time you see this). It's nearly a whole grade better than my existing one, albeit with some die damage especially on the obverse.

And this 1875H : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...37#ht_500wt_797 (Buy it Now £500 !!) It looks clearly EF with lustre, but the hair detail doesn't look quite crisp to me - it could be a case of the Heaton Mint overusing dies, as they so clearly did with the 1918/1919 pennies.

What do you guys think?

Price on the 1871 is pretty good up through another 50% higher at least and decent for grade with only a few expected contact marks for grade.

Wow! I like the 1875H and would go for it at that price if I did not already have one just a bit better. Of course the usual disclaimer that it should be seen in hand but looks great even in supersize. I think it would be quite decent at 100-150 pounds higher.

The 1864 is almost there but some rather distracting edge damage. I imagine he has accounted for that in price by giving it a good 40-50% price hit.

In case you didn't get it: I LIKE THE 1875H!!!!

Price on the 1871 is pretty good up through another 50% higher at least and decent for grade with only a few expected contact marks for grade.

Wow! I like the 1875H and would go for it at that price if I did not already have one just a bit better. Of course the usual disclaimer that it should be seen in hand but looks great even in supersize. I think it would be quite decent at 100-150 pounds higher.

The 1864 is almost there but some rather distracting edge damage. I imagine he has accounted for that in price by giving it a good 40-50% price hit.

In case you didn't get it: I LIKE THE 1875H!!!!

These all look a pretty decent price. The 1871 is VF+ to me, not GVF+ but still a decent coin and well worth a punt.

I just wish the picture of the 1875H was clearer, but if that really is lustre, then the price doesn't look at all bad. Similarly the 1864 which I would give GVF, perhaps a bit more but maybe not as far as NEF. Would like to see it in the hand to check out that edge damage.

Wish I had the money right now...

And talking of rare pennies, I have an 1849 winging it's way to me as we speak. Looks around Fine.

And talking of rare pennies, I have an 1849 winging it's way to me as we speak. Looks around Fine.

Nice!

That 1871 jumped straight from £71 to £112 in the last few seconds. Barmy. Well that's way overpriced in my opinion.

Nice!

That 1871 jumped straight from £71 to £112 in the last few seconds. Barmy. Well that's way overpriced in my opinion.

On the other hand, here's a choice mediocre example with a Buy It Now of £40... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Very-Rare-Key-Date-1...#ht_1428wt_1008

Not to mention a selected average mediocre 1875H that's on offer for £30... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Very-Rare-1875-H-Pen...#ht_1512wt_1008