British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ777

Unusual GB 1977 Jubilee crown

Hi was sorting out 100s of these I had when I came across an unusual one. It appears completely unplated or different colour?

Is this just a case of a worn coin? All the rest have some degree of silver 'shininess'. What is the process on the coin. It is interesting even if it has been tampered with as you can see the detail of the original design in a different way.

I even thought there was a number or something etched onto the 1st '1' numeral of 1977 but again I may be imagining things!

The unusual one is the dull one (On right) next to an ordinary 1977 Jubilee crown. Worth having expertised or am I just plain crazy???

Russ777

You're plain crazy!

It could have simply been in a different environment and toned differently. Or it may be a slightly different metal mix (they made enough of them to not have been able to make all the blanks in one go).

The one on the left looks like a typical specimen - these were issued in their millions, often in a plastic holder by banks and numerous other organisations. The one on the right (which you think is different) looks like one of those issued loose by banks and post offices. Those would have toned to look just like yours, and I've seen any number that are 'greyish' and without obvious lustre.