British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
chris

edward 1906 shilling type 2a does it exist

hi fellow collectees

i have in my possesion a 1906 silver shilling

now i dont collect these as a rule but aquired this one as a lot. i then decided to check a website for that year to see what it was worth as this person has hundereds of good grade coins. the coins that he had were only type 1 and 2 with no mention of a 2a for that year and the only 2a versions were 1903 and 1904 which were considerably more expensive than 1 or 2 so as i do i went on and checked and im 99% sure this ones a 2a on comparison

am i right?

and what would it be worth?

thanks peeps

post-4691-1248547742_thumb.jpg

sorry about the scan i had to downgrade the photo to upload but messing around with the photo ruined the scan

heres some closeups of some off the differences

post-4691-1248636608_thumb.jpg

post-4691-1248636639_thumb.jpg

post-4691-1248636659_thumb.jpg

TBH I'm not familiar with any Edward VII silver obverse varieties - they are not mentioned in Sealy (1970) so this is all new to me. I'm aware there are several penny obverse varieties, all listed in Gouby, but that's all I know.

PS what's a "collectee"?? I'd say coins were collectees if anything is! We are collectors ...

And if I had a time machine I would go back and put a bullet in the head of the ignoramus who invented the word "attendee", which started this whole confusion :ph34r: (obsessive about grammar, me? oh no, you must be thinking of someone else .. :lol: )

my bad!!! :)

according to what i have found out with the shillings are, there were 2 main types which were obviously type 1 and 2 in 2007 another type was found that was unlisted a type 2a then another one in january 2009

Edited by chris

my bad!!! :)

according to what i have found out with the shillings are, there were 2 main types which were obviously type 1 and 2 in 2007 another type was found that was unlisted a type 2a then another one in january 2009

I'm yet to find a 1903 type 2, everyone I've looked at has been a type 2a, which has made me wonder.

Where are these different silver Edward VII obverses listed and described, out of interest?

Where are these different silver Edward VII obverses listed and described, out of interest?

The best place I've found that lists this sort of stuff is Michael Goulby's website (michael-coins.co.uk) Look in GB coin list

And before Gouby they were published in 'British Silver Coins Since 1816' by Peter Davies.

And before Gouby they were published in 'British Silver Coins Since 1816' by Peter Davies.

And before Davies they were published in 'A detailed study of design variations on shillings 1816-1966' by Ron Stafford in various issues of Coin Monthly (aka Coin) during 1980.

Oh right - Davies. It's interesting, I have Peck, Freeman, Gouby, ESC, Seaby and Rayner, and Sealy - but the one gap in my reference library has always been Davies. But I guess he is long out of print?

And before Davies they were published in 'A detailed study of design variations on shillings 1816-1966' by Ron Stafford in various issues of Coin Monthly (aka Coin) during 1980.

Ron Stafford! There's a blast from the past!! I remember his detailed surveys and statistical reports and his exhaustive examination of decimal 10 pences etc. For all his amazingly detailed and studious work, I never entirely took him seriously, I'm not sure why? Perhaps I found his focus just a teensy weensy bit anal, or more likely I just couldn't get worked up about the number of beads on a 10p...

Non coin people would probably see your library list and shout: Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot! ;-)

I think that Davies is available new. At least mine looks pretty new and I seem to remember buying it new. It's a first edition and was printed in 1982 (re-printed?).

Non coin people would probably see your library list and shout: Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot! ;-)

Ha ha, very probably true. Mind you, I think "our Ron" might have begun his career in Coin Monthly when I was a geeky schoolboy coin collector - at any rate, someone did an exhaustive study of 1907 pennies and came up with 5 or 6 varieties, all dependant on how long the downstroke of the 7 was, how stubby the end was, and precisely how far to the left of a tooth. Even my geeky younger self baulked at that. In the end, it was decided these 'varieties' were simply due to different stages of wear, and nothing was ever heard of it again!