British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
chris

hi grade coins with a dent does this de-value a lot

hello everyone

i have just purchased a sixpence in a very high grade but on reciept i have noticed there is a dent at about 5 o clock

would this devalue the coin greatly, im a little miffed that the seller did not describe this obvious dent

thanks again

Depends on the date/rarity of the sixpence and how the dent affects eye appeal. I would probably price it down (and mention it). By how much really depends how bad it is.

Depends on the date/rarity of the sixpence and how the dent affects eye appeal. I would probably price it down (and mention it). By how much really depends how bad it is.

the coin is graded about aunc dated 1899 i only noticed it when turning it into the light then you can properly see it. your book stated its worth about 30-50 pounds in the condition i have bought it in and ive payed 26 pounds and there was no mention of damage to the coin. should i complain?

Post a picture. If it's only visible in certain lights then it may not be such a big deal.

hello everyone

i have just purchased a sixpence in a very high grade but on reciept i have noticed there is a dent at about 5 o clock

would this devalue the coin greatly, im a little miffed that the seller did not describe this obvious dent

thanks again

post-4691-1247599977_thumb.jpg

hello everyone

thanks again

the dent is located at 5 oclock between FID as you can see the photos didnt bring this raised dent out

hello everyone

thanks again

the dent is located at 5 oclock between FID as you can see the photos didnt bring this raised dent out

It looks like a very small edge knock just after FID, but that's not what you meant I think? You mean an actual dent in the flan itself that shows up when you turn the coin and look at it edge-on, or as a depression on the reverse? If you could get pictures of the edge / reverse it might show more clearly.

In any case, if it's a dent as opposed to an EK, that would be more serious, and I would be thinking about returning the coin to the seller and asking for a refund. Late Victorian silver isn't rare and you should be able to find a replacement without difficulty.

Hard to see the dent you describe, I can barely make it out.

The thing that doesn't look right to me and it may be the picture is the colour of the coin.

From the picture it looks like it may have been cleaned, which will affect its value.