British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Peckris

1964 sixpence "DEI GRAT A"

post-4737-1247500322_thumb.jpgpost-4737-1247500020_thumb.jpg[attachmen

t=1867:1964_6d_close_up.jpg]

Here's an interesting one. I suppose it counts as a misstrike more than a variety as such, which is an irony : if it was the only 1964 sixpence it would be worth tens of thousands of pounds; but something like this needs company - e.g. 99 similar examples - to be worth anything much.

Anyway, here it is. A 1964 sixpence whose obverse legend reads "DEI GRAT A" probably due to a filled die. If anyone out there knows of one or two more like this I would be thrilled ... B)

post-4737-1247500372_thumb.jpg

post-4737-1247500322_thumb.jpgpost-4737-1247500020_thumb.jpg[attachmen

t=1867:1964_6d_close_up.jpg]

Here's an interesting one. I suppose it counts as a misstrike more than a variety as such, which is an irony : if it was the only 1964 sixpence it would be worth tens of thousands of pounds; but something like this needs company - e.g. 99 similar examples - to be worth anything much.

Anyway, here it is. A 1964 sixpence whose obverse legend reads "DEI GRAT A" probably due to a filled die. If anyone out there knows of one or two more like this I would be thrilled ... B)

Yes, looks like a filled die, I can just make out a ghost there

Gary

I've got a 66 florin which has the entire left hand side legend missing. The Queen is properly struck and the reverse is fine. It's bizaar.

I've got a 66 florin which has the entire left hand side legend missing. The Queen is properly struck and the reverse is fine. It's bizaar.

I've heard one theory that it is due to grease blocking the die detail. This will not compress when the die is used if an airtight seal is formed and so the design is either non-existent or only weakly struck up. I have a few pieces like this.

I've heard one theory that it is due to grease blocking the die detail. This will not compress when the die is used if an airtight seal is formed and so the design is either non-existent or only weakly struck up. I have a few pieces like this.

Interesting. In which case, the error either survived only for a single strike and was missed by inspectors, or maybe there are more of each out there somewhere. As I say - it is ironic that if there were a number of identical coins they would have a high rarity value, but singletons do not. Though I think there was a time that unique misstrikes would fetch decent(ish) sums at the right auctions (maybe into 3 figures sometimes?).

Historically we Brits don't seem to care much for mis-strikes do we! US errors are usually (but not always) expensive, but they also depend on the type of error, type of coin and severity of the error. A blocked die leads to some interesting 'features' but of all the error types I think it's probably one with the least value..... dependant on the coin type/age and severity.

And of course, demand; it's basically all down to demand.

That's what I also believe is wrong with this coin. I don't think it will command much of a premium as it wouldn't be classed as a major error like an off centre strike or a brockage.

i thought there were a few known, i'll keep my eye out

It is only a blocked die and not a mint error (where the I has not been entered) because you can see traces of the I in the inital post image.

"i'll keep my eye out". Scott, keep your puns to yourself. :D

Edited by Rob

Are you certain there's no others known?

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1254

;)

Looks as though I will need to keep an eye out for an example for the collection :unsure:

i thought there were a few known, i'll keep my eye out

That would be very comforting - it would be more desirable if there were a few others known (this marks it out from misstrikes like brockages or misshapes or wrong blanks), and could set it apart as an 'error variety', in the same way as the 1888 and 1889 double florin ("1 for I")

It is only a blocked die and not a mint error (where the I has not been entered) because you can see traces of the I in the inital post image.

"i'll keep my eye out". Scott, keep your puns to yourself. :D :lol::lol::lol:

I think goes that without saying Rob - from the late 19th Century on, you couldn't have a punch error as all coins were produced from huge pre-approved and inspected design matrices that were used to cut dies via reducing machines (the quaint idea of an "I" not being punched, just doesn't compute!)

I think goes that without saying Rob - from the late 19th Century on, you couldn't have a punch error as all coins were produced from huge pre-approved and inspected design matrices that were used to cut dies via reducing machines (the quaint idea of an "I" not being punched, just doesn't compute!)

I know that, but you've still got to point it out because many people don't appreciate how things are made. The wheel has to be reinvented many times over - frequently in the same section of the forum, occasionally twice on the same day!

I know that, but you've still got to point it out because many people don't appreciate how things are made. The wheel has to be reinvented many times over - frequently in the same section of the forum, occasionally twice on the same day!

:lol: