British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peckris

20p - now it's got ridiculous - OFFICIAL !

Look at this - a perfectly standard 'undated obverse' QEII 20p. BUY IT NOW for only £1.50 !!

Note this (LMAO) : I HAVE A LOT OF THESE, MY COINS ARE GUARANTEED NO DATE ON QUEENS HEAD OR I WILL REFUND

(Oh boy, I've news for him, I have loads of these too, wonder if I can undercut him by selling them for £1 each? :P )

Apparently (LOLOLOLOL) ... SIMILAR COINS TO THIS EVIDENDTLY HAVE RECENTLY REACHED A STAGGERING £7200 IN AUCTION ON EBAY

Oh please, stop it, my sides are aching : IM NO COIN COLLECTER BUT

You want the link? Ok, here is a public health warning - don't be drinking hot coffee at your computer terminal when viewing this ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNDATED-20P-COIN-YES...-ON-QUEENS-HEAD

i'll sell every 20p i have with no date on heads for 21p.... except my 1992's and my 2008 old design

That kind of listing really represents everything that is bad with ebay.

Ah.....Listing has been removed I see.

I watched the barman in my local check every single 20p he gave out as change the other night.

I was kind of thinking that interest from the USA was behind the prices fetched on ebay ? I have no way of checking, but is it not the case that 'errors' in circulating coinage have a much bigger following over in the States than perhaps they do here ?

The hysteria does seem to be gradually abating.....

No, I think the massive hype (although, being in Germany I've missed most of it) is enough to get the public to rally round. Anyone with some spare money probably sees the 20p's as a good investment. I doubt the story has been exposed in the USA, and if so then probably not on a large scale.

Another thing that people always tell me is that the 'Royal Mint' are trying to buy the coins back for £50. This is not true, it's the so called 'London Mint Office', an outfit that love to be confused with the Royal mint, but are instead peddlers of crappy commemorative coins and re-packaged old rubbish that are barely worth the metal they are made of.

I'm sensing you're not a fan of the 'London Mint' :lol:

Another thing about the 'goings on' at the Royal Mint, why did they feel it was necessary to issue 3.9m pound coins with the Royal Arms on in 2008, prior to issuing 29.4m of the new Dent design ?

There is no evidence that there was an emergency in terms of supply. They have never done this before in 26 years, why not just wait until the new coins were ready like they've always done ?

I wonder if the current prices realised, (most seem to be around the £250 mark on ebay) can be sustained in the future, after all it is a matter of demand. But I suspect that when the interest dies down they will settle down to about £50.

The whole business may be tacky, but it is certainly entertaining.

I watched 11 listings for genuine undated 20p's in 'My ebay' that finished between 30th June and 5th July; the average of the winning bids was £281.

I did the same for 13 listings finishing today, the average of the winning bids was £162.

Two listings that finished at £1550 and £4700(?!) earlier in the week were relisted, the first selling for £180, the second for £215.

Oh dear! its falling apart.

If as suggested there could be 200,000 of these in circulation I would expect the price will drop to between £20 to £40 as similar to the 1950 & 51 1d which had mintatages of 120,000 & 240,000.

There are plenty of mugs out there.

I watched 11 listings for genuine undated 20p's in 'My ebay' that finished between 30th June and 5th July; the average of the winning bids was £281.

I did the same for 13 listings finishing today, the average of the winning bids was £162.

Two listings that finished at £1550 and £4700(?!) earlier in the week were relisted, the first selling for £180, the second for £215.

Oh dear! its falling apart.

There was one yesterday (I kid you not), with a Buy It Now price of £1,200,000.00 - I made a Best Offer of 99p but for some reason it was refused :lol:

The listing also contained such spiel as "the coin may be viewed at my solicitors, viewing by arrangement" and "you may meet me to pay and exchange for the coin at my solicitors"

This is just re-posting what was established in the other thread.

With the use of a CD / DVD this seller has made his 20p picture stand out.

Clever Phototgraphy Undated 20p

Due to this, it seems it is attracting alot more attention and hence more bids.

With 7 Days remaining its already up to £185

- On a side note, the shear number of 20p's that have reached ebay now will obviously lower the final sale prices. I heard as well fake Undated 20p's had reached the market from China?

3,729 Items listed for "Undated 20p" search

Price is only going one way at the moment, and that's down.

Another thing about the 'goings on' at the Royal Mint, why did they feel it was necessary to issue 3.9m pound coins with the Royal Arms on in 2008, prior to issuing 29.4m of the new Dent design ?

There is no evidence that there was an emergency in terms of supply. They have never done this before in 26 years, why not just wait until the new coins were ready like they've always done ?

I wondered this at the time. In January they made a big fuss about the competition results and we'd all have to wait a couple of months to see the new designs... so I was quite surprised to see 2008 coins with the old designs turning up in change. I didn't think they would bother.

[i wondered this at the time. In January they made a big fuss about the competition results and we'd all have to wait a couple of months to see the new designs... so I was quite surprised to see 2008 coins with the old designs turning up in change. I didn't think they would bother.

If as suggested there could be 200,000 of these in circulation I would expect the price will drop to between £20 to £40 as similar to the 1950 & 51 1d which had mintatages of 120,000 & 240,000.

There are plenty of mugs out there.

Good point - let's not forget that the 1950 and 1951 pennies were probably the most over-hyped "rarities" of the 60s. I had a look back at 1970 prices for them, and they have no way kept pace with inflation. In fact they are currently not even double the 1970 prices. I predict the 20p will go the same way, only even quicker :lol:

Being a member on several US coin forums/sites i can say the undated 20p was observed with interest by members and ridiculed much as it is here.The same kind of hype is circulating rampant right now over the LP2 cents and its many errors,daft money being asked.

I watched more than one ebay seller sell 2008 20ps as the undated mule , clever wording and a no return policy.I kept a watch to see the feedback as i expected to see a lot of negs being dished out , i really did..that didnt happen.

So next time somebody says "people just aint that stupid" smile to yourself and know your in the precense of an idiot.

i'll sell every 20p i have with no date on heads for 21p.... except my 1992's and my 2008 old design

Probably a silly question, but is there something about the 1992 20p piece then?

fairly low mintage yea, and therer were 2 types

small head and large head

they changed the head size in 1992, small head was 85-91 and is scarcer

Was this a shrinkage of the Maklouf design or the transition from Maklouf to Rank-Bradley? Just asking because the 2008 Check Your Change book gives 1998 as the portrait change.

You don't have a piccie if it's the former, perchance? :)

its a minor resize its the same portrait

i have both types

962361.jpg

969053.jpg

look at the neck if you cant see much differance

Was this shrinkage just on the 20p or did it affect every value?

yes, and it was enlarged not shrunk, but yea all 92 issues should have large head, dunno why there are small head 20p's