British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest bob-e

Gold Guinea

Guest bob-e

Hi

Has anyone any info on this coin?? :)

hgg.jpgclick here for larger version.

Poss value.

Gold half guinea, again shipwreck coin with authenticity

The coin was contaminated by other metals on the sea bed.

[it had been down there for over 200yrs]

I think it would clean quite easy but I am going to leave it because that's how it came out of the sea.

Gives it a bit of character.

:blink:

cheers

Bob

Hello Bob,

Hard to assess the grade with the discolouration and the photo not being that sharp but I suppose it could be around a 'Fine' grade coin. The catalogue value for a coin like that as Fine is currently GBP75.00. The 1783's look to be pretty rare.

I'm not sure how the colourings would affect it's market value, I suppose some collectors that go by eye appear may be turned off, while others that crave authenticity (as most do) may be turned on to it and it's history.

What do you think about a Kylie Avatar? ;)

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest bob-e

Chris

Thanks for your assessment of this coin,

not sure yet whether I shall put this one up for sale.

I recovered this one from a dangerous position on the seabed. a ten ton boulder loosely suspended above my head while I dug it out of the shale.

Has a bit of sentimental value this one.

What do you think about a Kylie Avatar? ;)

Sounds good would like to see it. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bob

Well worth risking your life for numismatic history Bob, are we supposed to be impressed? ;)

Guest Sylvester_I'm_a_Guest

I like the discolouration (toning if you prefer), gives it alot of character...but then i do collect toned coins so i'd be biased!

Sylvester.

Yes toning is good in most cases, but I tend to prefer it if it's even myself. Half one colour and half another has less appeal to me personally.

Chris

predecimal.com