British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest drc

Was 1970 5p milled?

Guest drc

Was the 1970 5p milled, as I have one that is not? I cannot find a reference to suggest that it should not be milled. I have weighed it on scientific (accurate to 0.001g) scales and it compares to other large 5p coins. Sorry if this is a foolish question as I am awaiting a copy of Coin Yearbook 2009.

all 5p's had milled edges

Edited by scott

Try Collectors' Coins GB 2009 too, it doesn't repeat the same editorial each year, and is cheaper.

Guest drc

Thanks guys. Any tips on assessing if it's a fake?

It's unlikely to be a fake as a faker wouldn't miss off something so obvious as a milled edge. As its weight checks out, it may be a coin struck on the wrong blank, or else something went wrong with the collar during striking and it got overlooked by inspectors. (Guesswork really - do you have a picture?)

Guest drc

It's unlikely to be a fake as a faker wouldn't miss off something so obvious as a milled edge. As its weight checks out, it may be a coin struck on the wrong blank, or else something went wrong with the collar during striking and it got overlooked by inspectors. (Guesswork really - do you have a picture?)

It's not in great condition but the photos should give you a better idea.

post-4759-1247161104_thumb.jpg

post-4759-1247161138_thumb.jpg

post-4759-1247161145_thumb.jpg

It looks genuine enough. Definitely worth keeping as a curiosity. My bet (hunch) is that it was struck on an unmilled (?Commonwealth) blank.