British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all

Don't know if anyone else has come across any 2009 coins yet, but Mrs Hertfordian just managed to acquire a shiny 2009 penny in change whilst taking the youngest Hertfordian to our local Mickey D's.

Am able to report that it looks exactly the same as last year's issue (other than the date of course!).

Has anyone else come across any of this year's coin issues yet?

Cheers

Hertfordian

I managed to acquire a 2009 penny in Sainsbury's the other day! :rolleyes:

Nothing so far. I shall look out for one, with interest.

seen some UNC stuff in the post office a few weeks ago.. but anything "new" recieved has been 2008....

i'll keep an eye out

Nothing here yet, but I am getting on peoples nerves going through their change with a fine tooth comb. Fake £1's, error 20p's, 2009 issue.....

Been poking around trying to find some information on exactly how the Mint measure the coins in circulation. Anybody know of any good reference works on the science of physical money supply in a modern economy ?

http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/facts/circulation.aspx

Nothing here yet, but I am getting on peoples nerves going through their change with a fine tooth comb. Fake £1's, error 20p's, 2009 issue.....

Been poking around trying to find some information on exactly how the Mint measure the coins in circulation. Anybody know of any good reference works on the science of physical money supply in a modern economy ?

http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/facts/circulation.aspx

Interesting link. Apparently there is a 'mere' £3.5bn in circulating coinage, which is peanuts in an economic sense. What would be really educational is a measure of the coinage as a % of total GDP (or income per capita, or some similar metric). I'm sure there must have been times - e.g. WW1 or earlier - when the % must have been much higher, especially before the introduction of banknotes.

2009 Penny in Boots the Chemist.

2009 1 Pence from Waitrose

McDonalds, Sainsburys,Tesco,Waitrose and Boots...

Interesting.

Anyone got one from the 'corner shop' ?

It won't be mine - it's in a Mylar Flip.

I found a 2009 penny today in my change. Don't know where I got it from as I wasn't paying too much attention but it's truly immaculate in condition. That one's going into the new and growing collection.

Got a penny in Tesco yesterday... will be going in a collection... of shrapnel that goes towards my holiday next year!

As a one-off one-year-only design, I think this was a good design, but hey, I'm just a collector!

Another, this time in Waitrose, and I have to say, in rotten condition already, has some kind of mange....

I got a 2009 coin in the Czech Republic last weekend! A 2 Kc from a Billa Supermarket. It looks like it's been worn on a camel foot and marched through the sahara already!

I get 2009 dated 1 kopek and 25 kopek coins all the time here in Donets'k. In fact my first 2009 dated coin was back in February. I think they have to mint some of the coins like the 1 kopek because often they are discarded and you can find them littering the streets. They are practically worthless, like 14 kopeks to the British penny so people toss them. Why they bother to mint such worthless coins is beyond me.

because of pirces with tax etc i guess.

egypt does one better... 25 piastre NOTE!!! and there are 32 of those to our pound...

because of pirces with tax etc i guess.

egypt does one better... 25 piastre NOTE!!! and there are 32 of those to our pound...

Interestingly, not any more! The Royal Mint are currently striking the first Egyptian coinage for lots of years! Apparently everything from E£50 down (about a fiver!) will be coins!

I received a 2009 1p the other day, and it was already in a crap state with a stain on both sides.

I received a 2009 1p the other day, and it was already in a crap state with a stain on both sides.

Pennies seem to be turning up fairly regularly, but I've not seen any other 2009 denominations.

But I did get a 1986 Commonwealth Games £2 in change today, showed very little wear and had green smears both sides, these came off with quick dip in acetone. Cant remember the last time I saw a nickel brass as opposed to the bimetallics in circulation.

Pennies seem to be turning up fairly regularly, but I've not seen any other 2009 denominations.

But I did get a 1986 Commonwealth Games £2 in change today, showed very little wear and had green smears both sides, these came off with quick dip in acetone. Cant remember the last time I saw a nickel brass as opposed to the bimetallics in circulation.

You occasionally used to get a 1986 Commonwealth Games £2, up to about the early to mid 90's. I think the last time I was handed one in my change, was about Summer 1994. You were lucky to get one now.

I never received a 1989 £2, but I have received one of the low mintage 2002 Commonwealth games £2 ~ and only one in 6 to 7 years.

not seen any of the earlier pre 97 £2, do have one of the commonwealth games AND the 2008 olympic games £2's though

I have recieved the Dove £2 (1994?) in change before but this was back in c.2004, it was rare you encountered £2 coins before the bimets arrived anyway.

With regards to the 2009 issues, i've only found the penny, in my experience the 5p will be next.

You look bang on the mark, i got a new 5p in tesco last night :rolleyes:

Edited by 7255carl

You look bang on the mark, i got a new 5p in tesco last night :rolleyes:

Sorry it's not 2009 but 2008 - but I've just got only my second "old style" 10p coins in change today. They're certainly elusive little buggers! Now as for the 2p - I found one old style one fairly early on but haven't seen any since and don't even get me started on Britannia 50s - I'm still looking for one of them!!