British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jackje

Tiny coin not legal tender

Guest jackje

I have a tiny copper coin, smaller than a farthing. There is a male head on one side and on the other side it reads:

4 farthings = 1 penny.

Is this a child's play-coin or something else?

I have a tiny copper coin, smaller than a farthing. There is a male head on one side and on the other side it reads:

4 farthings = 1 penny.

Sounds like a part of a teaching set of coins produced by S G Onions, they ranged from the sovereign down to the farthing, issued circa 1843.

For easy identification the male head resembles that of an child with the letters SGO or just O under the bust, with the legend H.R.H ALBERT.P.W.

John

Guest jackje

4 farthings = 1 penny.

Sounds like a part of a teaching set of coins produced by S G Onions, they ranged from the sovereign down to the farthing, issued circa 1843.

For easy identification the male head resembles that of an child with the letters SGO or just O under the bust, with the legend H.R.H ALBERT.P.W.

John

Many thanks for the info Chingford. Would you know if it has any value any value?

Jackje.

4 farthings = 1 penny.

John

Many thanks for the info Chingford. Would you know if it has any value any value?

Jackje.

They are quoted as being quite rare, but at the same time the number of collectors is minimal.

Similar Model/toy coins, I have seen on Ebay, tend to average a selling price around £10 coin.

John

Somewhere I have one of those baby Prince Albert (SGO) pieces, only mine says "12 pence make one shilling" - attractive little thing. I'd rather keep it than let it go for £10.