British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RRose

What the hell is this?

Guest RRose

I have what appears to my rather uneducated self to be a "hammerred coin" but it appears to have a date on it. Is that possible? Seems to be made of silver. Near the edge are the letters "EXA(actually an upside down V)NOI", then "736". On the same side, looks like two vertical torches (or something) which are crossed by two lines. This then makes 9 "squares" or areas where letters and numbers are. The top line has "U?,8, A (actually an upside down V again), then the second middle line has a P, V, A (upside down V), the third line has a 7, 3, 6.

The reverse is less clear but has a cross (that doesn't extend to the edges) with some figures in the corners of the cross. At least one is a lion, maybe two.

HELP!!!???

Sounds like it might be a New World cob coin, probably 1 or 2 reales. The silver cobs were produced well into the 1760's and beyond.

Found this on Google. Lima 8 reals (wreck find). I daresay there will be better pictures in a book somewhere.

post-32-1084147732_thumb.jpg

And the other side. Does yours look like this one RRose?

post-32-1084148524_thumb.jpg

Guest RRose

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, this appears to be what it is. I never would have figured it out on my own. The one I have appears to be in MUCH better shape, and almost perfectly round, which seems to be unusual from other examples on the internet that I have seen. On the other hand, it has a small hole drilled through it. I found it going through my Father's stuff, but he's not able to tell me where it came from.

The picture you posted is pretty similar to the one I have.

Thanks again.