British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

its not the royal mint, its the london mint (the rip off selling one ;))

doesnt help that chris moyles mentioned it briefly today either >.<

i really want one, not paying £50 though, and now i wont get one in my change

i saw one listed as 2008 20p, with a picture of the reverse, it was £18.11

That's actually quite funny.

Any sign of an 'unresearched' and 'unopened' mint roll of 2009 20p's yet ?

dont think 2009's are out, dont think there will be errors they ditched the old design didn't they?

I cannot believe what is going on on eBay at the moment. There are now 1530 items for the 'undated' 20p coin and some of these aren't even the error coin at all. For instance there is a 2008 new type 20p, accurately described by the seller, as having no date on the reverse (why would it) but with 2008 on the obverse and there are many idiots bidding it up to £50!!! Its a normal 20p and worth exactly that.

Similarly, there's two 2006 20p coins, both attracting bids from multiple buyers, in one case over £30, and again the seller is advertising them absolutely accurately. And these examples are on the first page only. Goodness only knows how many others there are in amongst the 1530 items, but there are going to be plenty of disappointed punters out there. Still, as they say fools and their money are soon parted!! It does make me wonder exactly what kind of collectors there are using eBay, since understanding this error is so simple that you would have to be a moron not to be able to identify it, yet plenty of people seem to fail to grasp it. I'm just so pleased that I bought mine for about £30 a month or two ago and haven't got caught up in the current spiral which can only end in tears.

its not the royal mint, its the london mint (the rip off selling one ;))

doesnt help that chris moyles mentioned it briefly today either >.<

i really want one, not paying £50 though, and now i wont get one in my change

Yep, I meant the London Mint, my bad <_<

Your bad what ? :blink:

Good luck, tell us how much you get!

Just a thought, you do have one of the new type 20p's with neither a date on the obverse (Queen's head side) or reverse (shield side)? I.e no date at all? Only some people selling on ebay seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. The old 20p has no date on the obverse but it is dated on the reverse. These are worth .....20p.

David

Hi David, auction has finished. We got £240 for it. We are off to Argos now. My son is so pleased that he can buy a PS3 for £50 and of course 20p! Thanks for all the advice given by you guys.

Anna :)

Just a thought, you do have one of the new type 20p's with neither a date on the obverse (Queen's head side) or reverse (shield side)? I.e no date at all? Only some people selling on ebay seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. The old 20p has no date on the obverse but it is dated on the reverse. These are worth .....20p.

David

Hi David, auction has finished. We got £240 for it. We are off to Argos now. My son is so pleased that he can buy a PS3 for £50 and of course 20p! Thanks for all the advice given by you guys.

Crazy

David

Just a tip, make sure you have the money before you go out and spend it. I'm sure there will be plenty of non payments when people wake up in the cold light of day and see how foolish they have been. And if it's just in your paypal account wait until it clears your bank.

Gary

Congrats Anna, you got a great price but not extortionate. So you can hold your head up! By the way, did you notice that your auction had 1,100 views - in 24 hours!!!! There is one, that is ending in 3 days, on a five day listing, that has already had 27,000 views!! Utter madness.

There are now more than 2,000 results when you search for 'undated 20p', many just scams of one sort or another.

The most expensive is £15,000........or best offer! :lol:

David

Congrats Anna, you got a great price but not extortionate. So you can hold your head up! By the way, did you notice that your auction had 1,100 views - in 24 hours!!!! There is one, that is ending in 3 days, on a five day listing, that has already had 27,000 views!! Utter madness.

There are now more than 2,000 results when you search for 'undated 20p', many just scams of one sort or another.

David

Hi David, thank you. My 3 boys have searched the house high and low looking for more 20p's!!! Even down the sides of sofa's and they have cleaned their rooms!! No 'Mule' found though (notice the technical term? I always thought a mule was a donkey! lol) Yes I know what you mean about all the fake ones on ebay. I cant believe how devious people can be to try and sell a normal 20p for hundreds of pound but then again I cant believe some people are daft enough to fall for it! Out of interest do you lot on here just deal in coins -or do you know about bank notes too? I have got some old Italian lira that my granddad left me many years ago. I keep them in between pages of a book that is never read on the top shelf of book case so they dont get messed about with. I don't know if that is the best place to store them. Any way any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Anna

Just an expression, common on internet discussion boards these days, meaning, "my mistake" :)

On the general topic, I imagine it will now be extremely difficult to find many of these in your change from now on, which is a shame. Pity the media got hold of this.

Just an expression, common on internet discussion boards these days, meaning, "my mistake" :)

On the general topic, I imagine it will now be extremely difficult to find many of these in your change from now on, which is a shame. Pity the media got hold of this.

I will definately still be checking!

I'm still in amazement at what the legitimate ones are selling for!

£411 with 2 Days 7 Hours left on Auction

"...Alls i want for christmas is a 20p..."

Hi David, thank you. My 3 boys have searched the house high and low looking for more 20p's!!! Even down the sides of sofa's and they have cleaned their rooms!! No 'Mule' found though (notice the technical term? I always thought a mule was a donkey! lol) Yes I know what you mean about all the fake ones on ebay. I cant believe how devious people can be to try and sell a normal 20p for hundreds of pound but then again I cant believe some people are daft enough to fall for it! Out of interest do you lot on here just deal in coins -or do you know about bank notes too? I have got some old Italian lira that my granddad left me many years ago. I keep them in between pages of a book that is never read on the top shelf of book case so they dont get messed about with. I don't know if that is the best place to store them. Any way any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Anna

Firstly, congratulations on getting the kids to clean their rooms - we've all been there.

All of the regulars or semi-regulars on this forum are collectors, Chris Perkins who owns the site is a dealer who also has a collection of oddballs as I understand and a few of us, myself included, do a bit of dealing. The balance is mostly people who register in order to post a query such as yourself and that is the last you hear of them.

Banknotes are a different matter and not my department. I do know the condition is even more important than for coins unless the item is exceptionally rare. So pin holes, foxing, creases or any other marks has a profound effect on their value. A lot of collectable notes have been ironed to make them appear better than they really are and which definitely detracts from a collector's point of view. I haven't the foggiest idea about Lira banknotes and don't know anyone with any knowledge about them, but would suspect that unless they are particularly old or had a very short issue period they are unlikely to be valuable. Most currencies post-war are readily available from what I have seen.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Up to 2789 listings now, including a 2006 with no date on the obverse going off shortly with 2 bidders :wacko:

Most seem to be going in the £200-300 range, though I see one is over £400 with 5 days to go. Bizarre.

Given the mentality of these people, it is little wonder the Royal Mint manages to offload vast quantities of overpriced bling.

Or for an alternative investment - 1967 1d anybody? Only 100,000,000 left.

Edited by Rob

Up to 2789 listings now, including a 2006 with no date on the obverse going off shortly with 2 bidders :wacko:

Most seem to be going in the £200-300 range, though I see one is over £400 with 5 days to go. Bizarre.

Given the mentality of these people, it is little wonder the Royal Mint manages to offload vast quantities of overpriced bling.

Is your 1967 penny full lustre? I will swap for THREE BU 1971 pennies... :D

Is your 1967 penny full lustre? I will swap for THREE BU 1971 pennies... :D

Done. 3x sod all chance of selling something is better than 1x.

Leave aside being gobsmacked at what is going on with this error coin, I am puzzled by the major differences in prices that seemingly similar coins are making. For instance, there is one on at the moment which is due to finish in 2 hours, which is currently bidding at £200 from 9 bids, yet there is another due to finish in 2 days or so, which is currently at £510 from 59 bids. There isn't a hair's breadth of difference between them, so I cannot see how the price difference arises unless its a case of 'fixing' the bids to push the market.

Any ideas anyone?

Leave aside being gobsmacked at what is going on with this error coin, I am puzzled by the major differences in prices that seemingly similar coins are making. For instance, there is one on at the moment which is due to finish in 2 hours, which is currently bidding at £200 from 9 bids, yet there is another due to finish in 2 days or so, which is currently at £510 from 59 bids. There isn't a hair's breadth of difference between them, so I cannot see how the price difference arises unless its a case of 'fixing' the bids to push the market.

Any ideas anyone?

I thought the same, so I watched a couple of auctions, last night, with only minutes to go, on both the highest bidder withdrew within the last minute with the excuse 'wrong amount entered'

Any ideas anyone?

I thought the same, so I watched a couple of auctions, last night, with only minutes to go, on both the highest bidder withdrew within the last minute with the excuse 'wrong amount entered'

Ah, so there's a 'fiddle' going on!!

One sharp blade has listed one for a million quid. :lol:

I tip my hat to those who have sold them and made the big money now, but in my humble opinion, there are simply a lot of suckers (and possibly shill bidders) about. This is only an R4 or R5 piece (Freeman scale)! I remember the hysteria in the US not long ago about "Beanie Babies" when people lined up for hours to get the latest ones and they fetched astronomical prices on ebay. Now, you can't hardly give them away.

Maybe this is one of the few things a government could actually do to turn around a bad economy: "accidentally" mint an error, put in a recall request and then sit back and watch commerce take over. They just need to make certain it doesn't happen too often.

Maybe this is one of the few things a government could actually do to turn around a bad economy: "accidentally" mint an error, put in a recall request and then sit back and watch commerce take over. They just need to make certain it doesn't happen too often.

Do you think our Gordon is one step ahead of you <_<

Has anybody noticed the latest spin off from the 2008 error 20p? Namely the escalated and fantasy prices for the much scarcer 1983 twopence with the new pence reverse. A couple have gone up onto eBay yesterday, at, I think, £5,000 and £7500. Pretty obviously the owners saw the overblown hype about the 20p and some of the silly prices quoted and thought it would be a good idea to cash in with their 2ps! Won't be long before any 2p with the word new on it will be going for silly money I suppose.

Has anybody noticed the latest spin off from the 2008 error 20p? Namely the escalated and fantasy prices for the much scarcer 1983 twopence with the new pence reverse. A couple have gone up onto eBay yesterday, at, I think, £5,000 and £7500. Pretty obviously the owners saw the overblown hype about the 20p and some of the silly prices quoted and thought it would be a good idea to cash in with their 2ps! Won't be long before any 2p with the word new on it will be going for silly money I suppose.

Hi Dave, yes noticed that and have also been through every 2p in our 2p jar! Got lots with new pence on but none from 1983.

Thanks for all the good advice you lot gave about our mule 20p I am now after more advice! my 10 yr old went to a car boot sale at the weekend and came home with what he thinks is a very rare coin and a few old pennies. He now wants to start collecting old coins so it would be helpful if I could buy him a book that would help him with his new hobby! Can anyone recommend a good book for a beginer in coin collecting. Thanks again.

Anna

These 20ps are really annoying my now on ebay, I usually search for the high end coins on ebay by clicking the coins category under british coins and then searching via "highest first" but all the high end listings are cluttered up full of 20ps right up to £10,000,000. There is only about one other coin in the first 200 listings which is not a 20p. Come on people as if anyone is going to buy one for over £500, while many appear to go for that I bet their not actually being paid for. On top of that your wasting £1.50 listing it!