British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest nz_treasure

1789 Prince Regent Coin?

Guest nz_treasure

Hello,

I have a coin that I can't find any information about.

It is 25.5mm in diameter and dated 1789.

1789 PRINCE REGENT - HE HOLDS IT FOR THE KING

Any help would be much appreciated.

post-4720-1246021691_thumb.jpg

post-4720-1246021700_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I have a coin that I can't find any information about.

It is 25.5mm in diameter and dated 1789.

1789 PRINCE REGENT - HE HOLDS IT FOR THE KING

Any help would be much appreciated.

Try this link

From the date, it looks like a typical late 18th Century copper halfpenny token. These were issued by many companies and organisations, and there are some that feature the Prince of Wales, the future George IV.

The interesting thing about this piece is that George did not become Prince Regent until 1811. However, there was a "Regency Crisis" in 1788 but George III recovered before the Regency could be enacted. So it rather looks as though this token (or commemorative piece?) was struck in preparation for an event that didn't materialise.

The need for all this (as you probably know already) is that there was a massive shortage of copper coins from the mid-18th Century until Matthew Boulton created the machinery to strike the "cartwheels" of 1797. Tokens plugged this gap.

Here ya go Peckrispost-4792-1248406317_thumb.jpg

Interesting colour - almost pewter. But otherwise it has the classic appearance of a late 18th century token, probably a halfpenny (if it's a bit smaller than an old bronze penny then it's definitely a halfpenny). Worth keeping, out of interest.