British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
scott

2008 £2 no dot between elizabeth and def

962897.jpg

i origonally kept this back for the reverse off centre error, never took much notice on the obverse until someone noticed something missing...

there is no dot at the bottom of the obverse, no reason for there to not be, strike looks clean enough (no fading of detail near the dot location, no scratch, its just... not there)

i wonder if there a dodgey batch with no dot?

anyone else found one yet? i'm curious if this is a 1 off strike or a faulty batch, would be interesting to find out if i can class it as a variant and what value it would have

962897.jpg

i origonally kept this back for the reverse off centre error, never took much notice on the obverse until someone noticed something missing...

there is no dot at the bottom of the obverse, no reason for there to not be, strike looks clean enough (no fading of detail near the dot location, no scratch, its just... not there)

i wonder if there a dodgey batch with no dot?

I've had a look at various 2 pound pieces that we've had lying around at home, and on a majority of them, irrespective of the general condition, the "dot" under the queen's portrait definitely seems to be the weakest part of the obverse design. So whether this is an error or just down to wear and tear, I'd be interested to hear what others' experiences/views are....

Cheers

Hertfordian

Annoyingly, I had two yesterday, and spent them both.

I'll have a look next time I get one & report findings.

i have one where the letters are faded and as a result the dot is fainter, that i would expect, the letters are very well struck and as a result i would expect the dot to be so

Interesting. However, the sorry fate of the 1961 halfcrown "no EF" comes to mind ... I was (still am) the proud owner of one of these, and it has totally fallen off the radar as being nothing more significant than "a filled die". But definitely worth putting one or two aside - you never know. :ph34r: