British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Half Penny Jon

If you were a millionaire......

Hello everyone,

I think we need a what if...... thread just to see what sort of coins peope would buy if we became millionaires.

Personally, I would complete the bronze series as best I can and if possible, I would buy every proof set since 1826.

get all pennies from 1797 - 1967 including 1933, 1952 and 1954. and i would probably try to complete the oliver cromwell coinage...

I'd complete my whole farthing collection in the best possible condition and of course I'd buy the 1933 Double Eagle!

Wow, now that is ambitious. You would be the envy of every numismatist with that coin.

Oli, you would have to buy that double eagle from me.

Apart from that, I would put together a really excellent type set of British coins. I had offered to me a very very lovely Henry VIII angel a couple weeks ago, somewhere around GVF, and this just the latest example of what I've had to pass up. Life is tough.

I would by all Victorian coins in UNC, even the proofs and extremely rares of course! :D

I should add that my children have very different tastes in coins than I do.

My son Michael, 14, is putting together (1) a very good type set of US coins and (2) mintmark types. He bought a 1996 US mint set because it has a seldom W mintmark dime (for West Point).

Christopher, 13, collects Dutch (his mother is Dutch), coins with holes (yes, that is an articulated specialty) and has started getting serious about currency, which is as foreign to me as cheesemaking.

Katherine, 11, has "Katherine's Coin Zoo", for reasons you can surmise, and particularly favors proof silver. I guess proof silver is the diamond of the coin world.

And of course I help them all with their collecting, though not everything; so if I were a millionaire they'd no doubt see a bump up in their collections.

Hmm... I'm not sure a million would help me much. It's less the cost of the coins I collect that's the problem than the availability. There are a couple of guys I know who have pretty much the only known examples of some of the Charles I shillings and I'm not sure they would part with them!

I'd probably just use the money to retire so I can spend (even more) time looking for examples I don't have. I think my wife may have different ideas however!

Everything has its price. The question is, how much money would you need to have in the bank to feel able to part with a sufficient some to pry those suckers loose?

Oli, you would have to buy that double eagle from me.

Apart from that, I would put together a really excellent type set of British coins. I had offered to me a very very lovely Henry VIII angel a couple weeks ago, somewhere around GVF, and this just the latest example of what I've had to pass up. Life is tough.

Do you have that coin or were you just insisting that you would buy it?

The double eagle point was sarcasm and he said he didn't buy the Henry VIII one :rolleyes:

Ok, thank you for clearing that up. Btw, do you know who bought the double eagle last year?

After fierce googling, I cannot find who bought it - probably a private buyer.

Probably, he probably wanted to remain anon for security reasons!

That Double Eagle story is amazing, isn't it? It's really worth a novel.

That Double Eagle story is amazing, isn't it? It's really worth a novel.

Do you know where I can find the story of this coin?

William, I don't offhand, it was told in some detail in the NY Times last year, and I must have the clipping, but that won't help. I would just try Google and see what you come up with.

I found a story of it here, very interesting: http://www.coinresource.com/pr_mint/Double...leEagle1933.htm

I also found some nice pics of it: BID0208d.gifBID0208e.gif Beautiful coin...

William, thanks for digging this up, and thanks for the pics. I wonder if we can find anything written after the auction.

Everything has its price. The question is, how much money would you need to have in the bank to feel able to part with a sufficient some to pry those suckers loose?

Everything has its price. The question is, how much money would you need to have in the bank to feel able to part with a sufficient some to pry those suckers loose.

Do you mean the guys with the rare coins or my wife and child? :lol:

if i was a billionaire i would buy the coin section of the british museum, and see what money i had left for better coins...

That would get you the 1954 penny MJMD!

That would get you the 1954 penny MJMD!

exactly... :)

What about the Royal Mint museum, that would be worth robbing! :D

...or buying :(