British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins - Available

It is with great pleasure that I can now anounce the availability of "The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins (1797 - 1970)" by Derek F Allen (the forum's very own Red Riley).

In my opinion this landmark title is one of the most important numismatic publications for years. It cannot fail to raise standards in the industry and everyone with the slightest involvement in British coins should own one! I'd sold about 40% of the initial print run before the book was published. For those of you that are not aware of it, more details are here:

http://www.rotographic.com/grading_british_coins.htm

Or, in my ebay listing for it, here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180352504023

Del and I thought it would be a great idea to give forum members first refusal on the limited number (of 50) copies signed by the author. The RRP is £12.99 and that's exactly what a signed copy costs too! On top of that is £2.50 postage within the UK, total £15.49. Payment can be made via paypal to cp@predecimal.com with the subject 'Signed Grading Book'. For other payment methods or postage costs outside of the UK please contact either myself or 'Red Riley'.

post-1-1241547034_thumb.jpg

I got in early and received my copy (signed) this weekend.

The publication will hopefully educate Ebay and a few dealers I know.

Excellent book....well done Gents.

I have my copy also Peter, and it is GREAT! I am now regrading all of my collection. Nice job Derek and Chris!

Aw shucks...

This may sound a horrible cliche, but I hope everybody that reads the book gets as much enjoyment out of it as I did in putting it together. Some coins proved real stinkers to find in the conditions that I wanted, but the whole project carried with it a kind of 'thrill of the chase' which became really intoxicating. At the expense of sounding like a Hollywood Starlet receiving her Oscar, I would like to sincerely thank all the members of the forum that helped me out with coins and images of coins - all your names are acknowledged in the book - and I couldn't have done it without you.

On the other hand, one or two distinguished engravers may be turning in their graves...

Looks excellent Derek and Chris! Order placed.

Looks fantastic, order placed, looking forward to reading it. Congratulations on what looks like a job very well done!!

i'll wait till i get more money, this book will be very handy for my ebay purchases and working out mjy values

Scott,

A kind forum member has offered to get one of these signed books to you at their expense! Can you send details of your address to Red Riley (the author) and he'll send you one.

Hi Chris and Red,

I live in San Francisco Bay Area.

I would love buy a signed copy (if still available) off of Chris's web site and send to my sister in Orpington.

How would this work?

I might have opened an account when I shopped at Chris's previously.

Hope this can work,

freewheels.

Do you have a paypal account freewheels? If so you can just send the total to cp@predecimal.com and put the Orpington address. Or you could pay by card from here:

http://www.predecimal.com/secure/paymentcustom.htm

Received mine in the post today from Amazon.

Looks great.

OK, what would be total with shipping to Maryland, USA? Would like to see this and the price seems in the real world too!

arrived today, gives me a look at possibly changing the grades of coins i have bought, and a few interesting bits of information on errors :D

OK, what would be total with shipping to Maryland, USA? Would like to see this and the price seems in the real world too!

The shipping for 2 signed copies was over £14.00! How much is it for just 1 Del? For me to send one from here (Germany) would cost just £5.50 but I don't have any signed ones here.

The shipping for 2 signed copies was over £14.00! How much is it for just 1 Del? For me to send one from here (Germany) would cost just £5.50 but I don't have any signed ones here.

A single one worked out at (gulp...) £8.12 + cost of envelope at £0.49.

Is there a better rate as 'Printed paper'? In the past I've sent booked to the USA like that.

Is there a better rate as 'Printed paper'? In the past I've sent booked to the USA like that.

There do seem to be variations, but they only make a minor difference. You would expect a standard package to have a standard price, but it doesn't seem to have worked out that way. Without realising, on different days and at different Post Offices, I was charged £8.12 and £8.35 and I have no idea what the reason was. The double order I sent to the U.S. was charged at £14.46 and that went as 'Printed Paper' whereas the oithers went with a customs declaration, so I would say that the difference is marginal, if annoying.

There is a much cheaper rate - about £4 something if I remember - which seems to involve somebody rowing an old bath tub across the Atlantic, but that can take 'up to six weeks', so I gave it a miss.

The reason for asking was that Amazon was out on checking. I too would like a copy so will try to check back there again.

Do you have a paypal account freewheels? If so you can just send the total to cp@predecimal.com and put the Orpington address. Or you could pay by card from here:

http://www.predecimal.com/secure/paymentcustom.htm

Hi Chris I did visit link and pay 15.49GBP for a signed copy sent to Orpington.

I also emailed you personally and haven't heard back so just wanted to know if signed book is on it's way to Orpington.

Thanks,

freewheels.

Oops, sorry, I was away when you paid that and it sometimes takes me a while to get on top of things.

I've emailed Del who now has your address and will send one promptly.

Oops, sorry, I was away when you paid that and it sometimes takes me a while to get on top of things.

I've emailed Del who now has your address and will send one promptly.

On it's way. I have just packed it up and it will see the Post Office sometime tomorrow.

Just to say ~ absolutely great book. One which has been needed for some time

Brilliant idea, a book like this, and will be a useful guide for beginners and not so beginners alike, for years to come (especially when you realise how unrealistic gradings have become, e.g. on a certain online auction site...).

I would like, if I may, to add a few riders :

1. Grading is an art, and this book - while it will provide a great service to collectors - can never replace the experience gained over time of looking at coins and handling them; this book will be the 'chemistry teacher' while real coins are the 'laboratory'.

2. Grading is usually decided on wear. There are many other factors that come into play also : dirt, scratches, weak strikings, early 'prooflike' strikings, quality of tone and patina, etc. Be aware that some dealers grade on wear alone but will supplement that with further description; others will grade on ALL the factors involved. For example, one dealer may describe a coin as "VF but light scratch on portrait", another dealer may simply grade the same coin as "F".

3. Appearance counts more than grade. I would rather have a coin in "superb VF" with a very pleasing look, than an "EF" example with uneven lustre and light scuffing in the fields.

Having said all that, I intend to buy a copy of this book for myself. :D

All those factors from damage to the all important eye-appeal are covered in the book!