British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mat

Help identifying a coin

Hello guys,

I picked up this very miss treated silver hammered coin (I think its hammered, looks thin for milled and its clipped) but it might be milled...scottish?

From the original photo I saw I thought it may have been a very worn commonwealth crown but it appears not as the identifiable wreath is not the same style as found on the commonwealth crowns.

Facts:

Apparently found metal detecting in the UK

A little bigger than a Charles I half crown

Surface area is significantly worn, only the wreath part is identifiable, the other patterns may be features of the coin, or they may be the mottled effects of the tool that has caused so much damage.

Nothing is identifable on the other side.

Any help would be appreciated!

post-4614-1240437235_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Can you image the other side?

The other side is compleatly worn to nothing, there is nothing at all to identify.

On 22/04/2009 at 10:54 PM, Mat said:

Hello guys,

I picked up this very miss treated silver hammered coin (I think its hammered, looks thin for milled and its clipped) but it might be milled...scottish?

From the original photo I saw I thought it may have been a very worn commonwealth crown but it appears not as the identifiable wreath is not the same style as found on the commonwealth crowns.

Facts:

Apparently found metal detecting in the UK

A little bigger than a Charles I half crown

Surface area is significantly worn, only the wreath part is identifiable, the other patterns may be features of the coin, or they may be the mottled effects of the tool that has caused so much damage.

Nothing is identifable on the other side.

Any help would be appreciated!

silver_coin.jpg

Could you get a better quality picture?

I think after almost 10 years he's probably given up on this one 🤔

• Like 1