British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Ali

Make your own Coin sets

I am interested in creating a coin set for a relative as a gift. It would contain a every coin minted during the year of their birth. Only trouble is, I have no idea how to present the coins in their own case/wallet/folder, like the Mint do, while still protecting it and making it look vaguely attractive, without glueing the coins to paper (as I have seen done on ebay).

Does anyone have any advice on what materials to use, or if empty coin presantation wallets exist, and if you can buy them from hobbystores etc?

I know Chard manufacture their own packaging for their yearly sets.

Thanks for your time

Hello Ali. I made some cases for some special coins once which turned out alright for what I needed.

The basic case was a CD box. I removed the tray and inserts and just used the clear plastic case. Then I cut two pieces of quite thick cardboard so that they would fit in the box, one in the tray and one in the lid. I bought some black velvet from a material shop and cut out enough to cover the cardboard. I stretched it over one side and stuck the flaps on the back with parcel tape while pulling it tight.

Then I put the cardboard into the CD box (velvet side up) and put a plain white CD insert and other cardboard into the lid (velvet side down). Now you can put coins into the box and arrange them on the velvet. When the box is closed it provides just enough pressure to hold them in place. You can't really store it vertically and shake it about, but you can store it flat.

The tricky parts were getting the size of the cardboard squares just right so they fit snugly into the CD box with the velvet covering. The thickness of the cardboard is crucial so that when the box is closed the coins are held in place. Too thin and they can move about, too thick and you can't close the box.

I did think about cutting holes in the cardboard for the coins but it would hard to cover it with velvet. Be very careful what you use to fix things in place (like the velvet). Some glues will give off vapour that can migrate onto the coins (I have had this problem with CDs before). It might depend on the metal of the coins.

Now I have written this, I reckon a good idea might be to try the same thing but with that memory foam instead of cardboard. I have seen it used for shoe insoles. If you could use a square of that then the coins would form their own indentations as pressure was applied. Wouldn't know where to buy it though. Again, I would test it with some unimportant coins first just in case it affects them.

Good luck!

I am interested in creating a coin set for a relative as a gift. It would contain a every coin minted during the year of their birth. Only trouble is, I have no idea how to present the coins in their own case/wallet/folder, like the Mint do, while still protecting it and making it look vaguely attractive, without glueing the coins to paper (as I have seen done on ebay).

Does anyone have any advice on what materials to use, or if empty coin presantation wallets exist, and if you can buy them from hobbystores etc?

I know Chard manufacture their own packaging for their yearly sets.

Thanks for your time

Ali

You could always try this dealer.I've had dealings with Dave and Gary and they are good genuine guys.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DG-1948-Coin-Year-Se...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck

Barrington Smith (Leicester, I think) are suppliers to many hobbies. I got marked folders with hole inserts from them - one card for a single year, including plastic sleeve, cost me less than £1 a few years back, but you best buy several to make it worth while as they add P&P on top.