British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JJVH

Quarter Sovereign

I have pulled the trigger and ordered a 1/4 Sov Proof for 65 squid from the Royal Mint. At £32.50 per gram it is expensive but only 10,000 have been minted as proofs.

I have a theory that the gold price will go back down to the £350 - £400 mark when the finacial crisis ends. Thus making it non profitable for the Mint to produce them. Are they a good investment?

In short, no. 10,000 is far too many. Don't touch modern coins with higher than 1000 mintage. If you want to invest in gold, buy bullion sovereigns at up to 10% or 15% over Bullion.

And a Quarter Sovereign, what on earth is a Quarter Sovereign!!?? 5 Shillings, so that makes it a crown doesn't it? Normally a silver coin. The RM have invented a new denomination priced around the price a sovereign would have been a couple of years ago just so that more people can afford them and so that they can sell small amounts of gold for way way over it's actual value.

The mint is passing the 1/4 off as the new half as the price of Gold is so high. How ever I do not think this new demoniation will last longer than a few years.

You have a very good point that a 1/4 Sovereign is a crown, but it all adds to the curiousness of such an odd coin.

As for bullion, I have never paid more than 10% over spot for a full sovereign/bullion bar, thou I did pay 20% under spot for 40 oz of silver Philharmonics last year.

We will see if this Ginger Haired Step child of a coin turns out to be a dud. . . . .