British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

I'm Not Best Pleased Right Now!

At about 4pm on the 1st September I got the below email from eBay, and have written some thoughts (in brackets) where most appropriate.

Please be aware that I am not ever this offensive and never use the language below normally. This has really annoyed me, as you can possibly tell!

The email:

Dear Chris H Perkins (chrisperkins@freeuk.com),

We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following item(s):

(Yes, because you're making lot of money out of me aren't you)

2947818379 New - SAFE Signoscope T2. Watermark detector.

2947827215 *NEW* 32 page large stamp stock book.

3043250566 100 Acid Free 46mm transparent Coin Envelopes

3043252282 100 Inert plastic Coin capsules. Choose sizes

3043254924 Aluminium case for up to 5 Lindner coin trays

3043255847 *NEW* Aluminium carry case for 261 Coins.

3043454799 10c (Japan) 1870 VF and a Burma 1 Mat 1852

3043455125 2 Anna (India EIC) 1841 in around Fine grade.

3043455610 5 Cent (Canada) 1858 in VF Condition.

3043456153 Straits settlements 1845, & Ceylon 1870 coin.

3043456429 Half Farthing (UK) 1844 in VF Condition.

3043456859 Hong Kong Gothic Cent 1865 and 5C 1873.

3043457373 Bombay and Calcutta 2 Annas EF 1862 and 1875.

3043458142 2 Anna (Calcutta, India) 1875 in UNC/AUNC.

3043458568 2 Anna (Calcutta, India) 1875 in EF+ Grade.

3043458908 Sixpence (UK) 1757 in Good-NF Condition.

3043459953 Cent (Straits Settlement) 1875 in UNC/GEF.

3043630963 Cayman Islands silver Proof set 1986. V Rare.

3043873381 Coin trays. Highest quality chemical free.

However, your listing(s) were in violation of eBay's policies. We would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your listing(s) are not permitted.

Although members may place a simple link to their web page in the description portion of an eBay listing, the following links are not permitted:

(So now I have to work out which of the below I was doing Illegally!!)

(1) links that advertise specific items or features on another web page. (erm possibly)

(2) links to other auction-style sites. (nope)

(3) links to sites offering the same merchandise for the same or lower price than the initial bid set in the eBay auction. (Don't think so)

(4) links to sites offering merchandise prohibited on eBay. This includes links from general viewing areas to websites that bring the viewer to adult content without first viewing a disclaimer or adult verification page. (Certainly not)

(5) links to third parties' web sites without the permission of the third party. This prohibition includes linking to IMAGES hosted on others' web sites without permission. (not me 'Guv')

We realize you may not have been aware of this rule, however the above links cannot be placed in eBay listings. Therefore, we have ended this auction(s) and all fees have been credited to your account.

(Well isn't that very nice of you, perhaps you don't realise the time it took me to list those auctions and the fact that some of the items were being listed for someone else. Perhaps it would have been slightly more friendly if you could have asked me kindly to change them? Perhaps you would like to stick one of my coin trays sideways where the sun doesn't shine? Or is that also against your rules, as you don't yet own the Sunlight?)

(Why the bloody hell couldn't you just have asked me nicely, so I could change the listings to comply with your precious bloody rules!?)

Please view our guideline page for a better understanding of our auction policies and how they affect the way you list your items: (No)

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png-list.html

For information on infringing, prohibited or questionable items, please view: (No)

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png-items.html

For more information on why eBay has ended an auction, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png...endauction.html

Any future listings that are not in compliance with our Linking guidelines will be ended early and repeated violations may jeopardize your account status. We value you as a member of our community (Yes, because you make money out of me, and for no other reason) and wish to continue this relationship. Therefore, we respectfully ask that you abide by eBay's Listing Policies and User Agreement in the future.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

(Just a minute...In advance for what cooperation? You stopped the bloody listings without asking me! Give me a chance to cooperate in advance and perhaps I would of.)

Regards,

Customer Support

eBay

eBay Trust and Safety

eBay International AG

------------------------------------------------------END

I have complained to them in no uncertain terms and demanded they re list my items and let me ammend them or I will revoke my over 3 year membership.

Please feel free to add any other eBay experiences to this area. (Please try to keep it relatively clean! And maybe there are some people out there that can also provide me with evidence of eBays human side, but I doubt it!)

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

In case anyone is remotely interested I replied to the above email in this fashion:

Dear Ebay,

You really have no idea how long it took me to list those auctions and how careful i was to ensure I complied with all your bloody capitalist rules.

Could you not have said in an email 'Dear mr Perkins, please change your listings within 24hrs etc' I would gladly have changed them, but now I can't even see them to change and relist them.

That just caused me a major inconvenience, some of the auctions were a friends who was expecting them to end soon, most of them had respectable bids on them already.

is there any way you can reinstate them so that I can change them to comply with your rules and at least start them again without having to create the listings again?

i really think you've made enough money out of me to give me a break!

In the mean time I will seriously look around for another online auction company and probably will be closing my account after these auctions finish. If i can't relist them easily I'm afraid I will probably be closing my account

That was very rude indeed!!!

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

The next day I got an email in return from a real human:

Hello Mr. Perkins,

Thanks for writing to eBay's Customer Support. I realize that this situation would be frustrating, and appreciate the opportunity to help you resolve this issue.

We understand it can be worrying to have an auction removed from the site, but eBay does have strict policies and guidelines which protect our community.

Unfortunately, when eBay ends a listing for its failure to comply with eBay policy, it is automatically removed from the site and is not saved.

According to our records, you were issued a procedural warning on 23

May, 04 July and 01 Sept, stating that the item you were offering was in

breach of our policy on Links, but your auctions still contained the

violating link.

For more information on our listing guidelines, please visit our policy page at the following URL:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-ov.html

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and wish you continued success on eBay.

Best wishes,

Tora Larson

eBay Trust and Safety

eBay

Your Personal Trading Community

If you're still reading to this point, well done! This was my reply to the humans email:

Dear Tora,

Firstly it's wonderful to actually know that the ebay beast does actually have some human servants!

Secondly, you are an internet company and like all companies that use the internet and create web pages etc as I do, you will have a daily back up and I'm sure can quite easily restore my listing with a little effort so that I can change them to comply with your rules.

I did once get an email before telling me my auctions had been cut off and was then careful to comply with your rules. However I often re list itmes and clearly in advertantly re listed an item that went against your rules.

I have never recieved any warning about the way my listing link to my site and have only just had my auctions cut off twice! Like I say, If a warning was forthcoming I would have no trouble changing the auctions normally within a couple of hours.

To qoute your email with it's automatically placed footer: 'We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and wish you continued success on eBay.'

I am NOT patient, NOT understanding and right now want nothing more to do with eBay!

Put the items into my 'Auctions ended' area so that I can relist them....pretty please.

Take off your eBay hat for 10 seconds and ask yourself what the fair thing to do would be.

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Guest Dan

And I was thinking of putting some stuff on Ebay!! I think I'll stick to the good old-fashioned coin fair!!

You get a good international audience, don't get me wrong, but they do seem to want to take over the world.

Chris

Guest DAVID

I KNOW JUST HOW YOU FEEL, EBAY HAVE UNFAIRLY CANCELLED THREE OF MY AUCTIONS, ONE WITH MINUTES TO RUN AND WHEN I POINTED OUT THAT THEY WERE IN ERROR, I SUDDENLY WAS UNABLE TO COMMUNICATED WITH A HUMAN AND KEPT RECEIVING COMPUTERISED REPLIES. ON ONE OCCAISION I CONTACTED EBAY.COM, (RATHER THATN EBAY.CO.UK) AND WAS INFORMED THAT THEY ONLY CANCEL AUCTIONS IF A COMPLAINT IS LODGED BY SOMEONE AND THAT THEY THEMSELVES NEVER CHECK THE CONTENTS OF AUCTIONS UNTIL A COMPLAINT IS MADE AND THE AUCTION ENDED. I POINTED OUT THEY SHOULD CHECK BEFORE ENDING, RATHER THAN THE OTHER WAY AROUND, BUT DEAF EARS I AM AFRAID. THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TREAT CUSTOMERS, ONLY HOW TO TAKE MONEY OFF THEM. THE CUSTOMER IS CHARGED WHEN LISTING ITEMS, WHEN SELLING AND NOW THAT THEY OWN PAYPAL, WE EVEN HAVE TO PAY THEM WHEN THE ITEM IS PAID FOR. TIME WE ALL MOVED TO QXL.

David,

Yes that's pretty much the way it went for me. But what can you do, Ebay are the bigest and therefore are likely to get the best prices for your items, and also provide the best bargains for buyers.

Since that moment I have listed only 3 items on ebay, when at one stage I was doing 20 a week. I have fortunately seen busy times with the website the last couple of weeks, probably due to Christmas so am putting my energy into that. Right now the accessory sales on the site are rising as are the visitors and I don't need bloody ebay at this moment!

The website took 3 years to get to what it is now, so unfortunately that option my not be good for everyone.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest Dan

I've jumped on the Ebay bandwagon - a nice VIP proof 1947 halfcrown for the highest bidder! :P

Chris,

Yesterday i read an article in COIN NEWS about a new auction site trying to give ebay "a run for their money". Apparently their fees are 50% cheaper than ebay. Also, for the first six months all listings are free. I haven't visited the site yet, but they sound better than ebay! The web address is www.wangled.com. You could try listing your items on there? Hope this helps.

Ebay has it's problems, but the sheer numbers of visitors make it worthwhile. That site you mentioned above didn't go anywhere for me.

hehe...just noticed this thread...looks quite funny... :lol: ...

hehe...just noticed this thread...looks quite funny... :lol: ...

I'm sure Chris didn't find it funny...