British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
jflett

1882 penny[poor-fair]

without the H, i believe is rarer then the one with, in poor/fair probably not much value wise still though.

Most importantly, in poor-fair the H wears away, so it's most probably an 1882H.

without the H, i believe is rarer then the one with, in poor/fair probably not much value wise still though.

An 1882 without the H is immemsely rare, but as Chris mentioned, the H tends to get rubbed off and what's more, it is not unknown for naughty people to remove it for personal gain. According to Michael Gouby, there are between 11 and 50 genuine coins in existence, so it is very unlikely that what you have is a real 1882 no H. Sorry.

:( thanks for the imformation.jf

An 1882 without the H is immemsely rare, but as Chris mentioned, the H tends to get rubbed off and what's more, it is not unknown for naughty people to remove it for personal gain. According to Michael Gouby, there are between 11 and 50 genuine coins in existence, so it is very unlikely that what you have is a real 1882 no H. Sorry.

Still worth checking if it really is a 'no H', as they go for big money even in 'good' (ie very poor condition).

If it is, get it slabbed by CCI.

David

question [slabbed by cci] enlighten me please as the meaning,& my digi camera cant do macro,but ill ask my mates to take one & post it asap,jf.

question [slabbed by cci] enlighten me please as the meaning,& my digi camera cant do macro,but ill ask my mates to take one & post it asap,jf.

What this means is, getting it verified and graded, then encapsulated - by CGS (coin grading services). I know I mistakenly referred to them as CCI, who sell slabbed coins.

If you look for the H under high magnification that should be a start. I agree that it is unlikely to be a 'no H'

David

thanks looked up slabing under old posts .should ave done that to start with ,will try the microscope on the date letter.jf

got an 1882 penny without the h on date is it a rare coin ?

i have seen a picture of an 1882 no H penny and on the obverse there is a gap between the R and I of BRITT whereas on the H version these two letters are joined together at the bottom of the R and I ,

hope this helps

[]

i have seen a picture of an 1882 no H penny and on the obverse there is a gap between the R and I of BRITT whereas on the H version these two letters are joined together at the bottom of the R and I ,

hope this helps