50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

1882 penny[poor-fair]

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jflett

jflett

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

got an 1882 penny without the h on date is it a rare coin ?

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 scott

scott

Forum God

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

without the H, i believe is rarer then the one with, in poor/fair probably not much value wise still though.

#3 Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

Proprietor of Predecimal.com and Rotographic Publications

• Admin
  • 5,270 posts
  • Interests:Nummi gratia fori defensor

Well obviously British coins. Classic cars (mainly Triumph and other BL masterpieces of the 70s). Heavy old rock music from prog to metal (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Zep, Rammstein etc etc). I still fancy Kylie Minogue.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

Most importantly, in poor-fair the H wears away, so it's most probably an 1882H.

Chris Perkins
British Numismatic Trade Association (BNTA) Member.

Predecimal.com
Coins, accessories and Information.
Rotographic.com
Numismatic publications.

CCGB20143Dmini.jpg GBCsmall3d.jpg BECM3Dmini.jpgBICM3Dmini.jpgESH3ds.jpg RBM3ds.jpg RSC3ds.jpg  kindle_48.png epub_48.png

The Current Rotographic book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

#4 Red Riley

Red Riley

Forum God

• 1,786 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything British and numismatic from Celtic through Roman, Mediaeval etc. The largest chunk of my collection is in bronze pennies which I collected from the late sixties to the present day.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

without the H, i believe is rarer then the one with, in poor/fair probably not much value wise still though.

An 1882 without the H is immemsely rare, but as Chris mentioned, the H tends to get rubbed off and what's more, it is not unknown for naughty people to remove it for personal gain. According to Michael Gouby, there are between 11 and 50 genuine coins in existence, so it is very unlikely that what you have is a real 1882 no H. Sorry.

#5 jflett

jflett

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

:( thanks for the imformation.jf

An 1882 without the H is immemsely rare, but as Chris mentioned, the H tends to get rubbed off and what's more, it is not unknown for naughty people to remove it for personal gain. According to Michael Gouby, there are between 11 and 50 genuine coins in existence, so it is very unlikely that what you have is a real 1882 no H. Sorry.

#6 Dg43

Dg43

Regular participating member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

Still worth checking if it really is a 'no H', as they go for big money even in 'good' (ie very poor condition).
If it is, get it slabbed by CCI.

David

#7 scott

scott

Forum God

• 2,307 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

get a photo up of it, this will help.

#8 jflett

jflett

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

question [slabbed by cci] enlighten me please as the meaning,& my digi camera cant do macro,but ill ask my mates to take one & post it asap,jf.

#9 Dg43

Dg43

Regular participating member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

question [slabbed by cci] enlighten me please as the meaning,& my digi camera cant do macro,but ill ask my mates to take one & post it asap,jf.

What this means is, getting it verified and graded, then encapsulated - by CGS (coin grading services). I know I mistakenly referred to them as CCI, who sell slabbed coins.

If you look for the H under high magnification that should be a start. I agree that it is unlikely to be a 'no H'

David

#10 jflett

jflett

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

thanks looked up slabing under old posts .should ave done that to start with ,will try the microscope on the date letter.jf

#11 chrismalvern

chrismalvern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

got an 1882 penny without the h on date is it a rare coin ?

i have seen a picture of an 1882 no H penny and on the obverse there is a gap between the R and I of BRITT whereas on the H version these two letters are joined together at the bottom of the R and I ,
hope this helps

#12 jflett

jflett

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

[]
i have seen a picture of an 1882 no H penny and on the obverse there is a gap between the R and I of BRITT whereas on the H version these two letters are joined together at the bottom of the R and I ,
hope this helps
[/quote]
Thanks ,the R and I do join so its a heaton mint coin,jf