British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest antnee

Rare 20p?

Guest antnee

Hi all, after noticing the recent undated 20p coins going on eBay for around £200, I've been keeping an eye on all the 20p's I come in contact with.

I found one today which has the date, but it has a lump on the lion's knee, also it doesn't have the 1 on it.

DSC00133.jpg

So is it rare?

i dont think so, i keep all mine back just in case, i got another new 20p yesterday with some "cuds" (thats the blobs) on them, those are slightly rarer. although you do find a lot of 2008's with the blobs

while we are on the subject of 20p's i got a 2006 with some coppery stripes on, very light though another error? (looks cool though)

Guest Brogan

Anyone know about this?

Value?uncirculated 2016 20p? 

Minting error maybe is it rare?

IMG_3842.PNG

IMG_3842.PNG

IMG_3842.PNG

If it three coins the same, it would suggest a good number are circulating.

Ebay will find its value, but the price will drop off as more and more are listed

The designer initals under the Queens head should read JC, yours seems to be upside down also there seems to some sort of wording just in front of the queens head, just down from her chin. 

Edited by azda

The full stop between the "REG" and the "FID" looks odd. Something gone wrong there.

Also, there appears to be some false lettering underneath the Queen's chin. Not sure what that is.

The streak above the "R" of "REG" is presumably a light anomaly from the camera shot.  

Send it to the Royal MInt for an explanation, maybe. With it being so recent, they really should know.

30 minutes ago, azda said:

The designer initals under the Queens head should read JC, yours seems to be upside down also there seems to some sort of wording just in front of the queens head, just down from her chin. 

The J.C looks OK to me. Just checked it against a random 20p in my pocket and it's the same.

18 minutes ago, secret santa said:

The J.C looks OK to me. Just checked it against a random 20p in my pocket and it's the same.

Yes, just looked again and the JC has a straight serif instead of a curved one making it look like an upside down T, but there's definitely some sort of writing under the Queen' chin

Edited by azda

Just had a little play around with the picture

Screenshot 2016-12-28 14.50.42.png

All the lot does not look right comparing it with one.

Even looks thicker but that might be as i have not got my glasses on :)

Screenshot 2016-12-28 14.50.42.png

2 hours ago, Guest Brogan said:

Anyone know about this?

Value?uncirculated 2016 20p? 

Minting error maybe is it rare?

What are your observations with the coin in hand - of the anomalies that we've mentioned, what specifically were you intending us to highlight?

15 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What are your observations with the coin in hand - of the anomalies that we've mentioned, what specifically were you intending us to highlight?

Yes maybe Brogan just wants to do everyones head in :lol:

Alternatively maybe list for £1,000,000 on ebay :rolleyes:

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Guest Brogan

There's only 1 it seems to of uploaded 3 of the same photo lol

i was on about all of the lines going around the queen?

Guest Brogan

I was on about all the lines going around the queens head? 

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes maybe Brogan just wants to do everyones head in :lol:

Alternatively maybe list for £1,000,000 on ebay :rolleyes:

Prob already been done lol

1 hour ago, Guest Brogan said:

I was on about all the lines going around the queens head? 

No idea, personally. But it does seemingly add to the list of things. I did notice those lines radiating outwards, but initially attibuted it to the photography.

Are they flat or dug into the metal? Hard to tell from the pic. 

Guest Brogan

They are dug in but they are perfect lines, it's from a bad of brand new 20ps from the post office..? 

Looks like a mis strike maybe? Or just a minting error can't seem to find a similar one anywhere and I can't seem to find out anything about it online? 

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

I noticed the same radiating lines on the 2015 20p as well. No one seemed to think anything of it. There are quite a few listed on the Bay, so don't think its rare. Maybe worth keeping a hold of as an oddity.

On 12/28/2016 at 5:35 PM, bhx7 said:

I noticed the same radiating lines on the 2015 20p as well. No one seemed to think anything of it. There are quite a few listed on the Bay, so don't think its rare. Maybe worth keeping a hold of as an oddity.

Yes, I got a 2016 myself today, and immediately noticed the radiating lines. So evidently a common feature of 2015 and 2016 20p's. Brogan's specimen does exhibit an issue with the full stop after "REG", however. Double struck, possibly?

Here's a not brilliant picture of the obverse of the one I got today, but the radiating lines into the field round the Queen's head clearly show.

twenty pence 2016.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Krystal clear

Hi guys I have found a 2009 copper 20p how do I go about selling it and how much is it worth?  I'm new to this so not got a clue where to start 

15343369868581228559791.jpg

1534337049586-1166394308.jpg

The first thing is how do you know it’s copper? Coins that have been in the ground often have a coppery sheen, the tone of yours does look a bit uneven. A very accurate weight measurement with a jewellers scales might help. The Royal Mint or internet could tell you what it should weigh . Don’t expect to get rich on this coin though even if a genuine mint error. EBay is usually the easiest place to sell this sort of thing .

Jerry

I'd send it to the Royal Mint and ask them to verify it, if they do, you'll get a letter back which will confirm it, and this will give you and the buyer confidence that it's the real deal.

This will also help it achive the best possible price, be it on ebay or through a major coin auction.

I'm afraid it's just a metal detector find that has been cleaned, either with a barrelling machine or some sort of dilute acid like vinegar or citric acid. As Jelida says just above, cupro-nickel coins out of the ground have a coppery tone when cleaned - I know, having been an active detectorist for years!! This is because the nickel leaches out into the ground a little, being slightly ferrous in its chemistry, leaving a higher percentage of copper remaining, especially on the coin's surface. Additionally, 20p's are struck in 84% copper and 16% nickel whilst, before they went clad steel, other denominations were struck 75:25 copper to nickel, so there's more copper to start with!

Sorry, but it's just worth 20p!

• Like 1