British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

What type of coins do you collect (British)...

What Type of British coins do you collect?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of British coins do you collect?

• Milled Bronze
    • Milled Silver
    • Milled Gold
    • Milled other
    • Hamered Gold
    • Hammered Silver
    • Hammered other
    • Other

...and you can understand a certain attraction for me to all the Edwards. :D

I like Edward VII coins, especially the florins and halfcrowns, beautiful coins. Do you have any Edward VIII?! :)

I really like early milled myself, there is something about the combination of handwork and the early technology that really appeals to me. You can see that a coin was made, and it's more robust than hammered. But I have got an interest in all British, and you can understand a certain attraction for me to all the Edwards. :D

Ha Early Milled my speciality.

Just bought a 1732RP 6d upgrade and an about average 1703 Vigo 6d.

Ah a good haul yesterday.

(ow and a 1573 sixpence!!!) Another monarch to scratch from the list.

Sylvester, I am eating my heart out. Chris already knows how much I like early milled. Two of the first coins I got from him were EM 6d's for my mom, a Geo II and the Anne I referred to yesterday.

Willam I don't have any Edward VIII. What I would really like from him is the commemorative medal of his abdication. I was joking the other day with a local dealer about the Ed VIII 3d's that crept into circulation and how wouldn't that be lovely?

Where's Tom these days? I wanted to hear how he would grade that Chas II reverse, and what it's the reverse of exactly.

I don't have any Edward VIII. What I would really like from him is the commemorative medal of his abdication.

I'm not aware of an official abdication medal ever having been struck, although there are a number of unofficial commemoratives of the abdication. It's the same with the coronation medals; the official one to be struck by the Royal Mint was designed but never issued, although unofficial ones are much commoner than most people imagine.

Where's Tom these days? I wanted to hear how he would grade that Chas II reverse, and what it's the reverse of exactly.

I think he only comes on here certain days of the week, don't know why (??)

E: Tom, is that the other side of the Chas shilling I saw on here before?

I don't think so.. I am getting so old I can't remember exactly what I've posted but I only recently got this one! This is one of the last ever coins issued for Charles I and is very difficult to obtain with a nice striking. I have called it 'weak but VF' if that means anything. You can see that where it is struck up it is very crisp so I guess it's good for this issue but it's a bit disappointing the face is so weak. North's English Hammered Coinage lists it as scarce, so it is likely to be a while before I can upgrade it. The light patch is actually silvery - maybe due to it's being a hoard coin it toned irregularly.

W: I think he only comes on here certain days of the week, don't know why (??)

I work from 2.30 pm to 2.30 pm, so an a 'bad' week when I don't have any days off (like this one) I am only at home every second night. Hence the eratic postings...

post-25-1083798947_thumb.jpg

I don't collect hammered, but I do like that one!

I voted milled coppers but I also collect milled silver (am just beginning in this area). Do to minimal financial resources, I am limited in my coin purchases. I used to collect everything from all over the world, and could spend hours going through dealer boxes of 10/$1 and 4/$1 coins, finding many additions to my collection.

Last year I had some health issues that affected me greatly, financially, physically, and mentally (damn near died!), so I stepped back from my collection and decided to focus my attention on a few areas that really interest me, and have been getting rid of a lot of the other stuff.

British coins was one of the areas I decided to keep, and I made a plan to work my way backwards, gradually, taking my time and limiting my spending, but still enjoying myself. I eliminated all thoughts of gold, as they will probably never be within my budget, and focused on the lower denominations. I am content with decent circulated examples (don't need any FDC or UNC coins), but will always consider an upgrade if one comes along within my budget.

My collection will never be one of monetary value, and I am well aware of that. But that is not why I collect coins. The fun, fellowship, and satisfaction I find in collecting and communicating with other collectors is well beyond any financial rewards I could attain.

BTW, Oli, whenever you upgrade any of your farthings and want to sell the extras, let me know, I may be interested. Seems that farthings are the hardest coppers to find on this side of the pond.

I don't collect hammered, but I do like that one!

Thank you Will.

Here's one I like better which I just got.

BTW. If anyone wants a GeoIII Northumberland or Chas II 1663 shilling I have them on eBay (only a day to go and no bids yet!).

(Oops - sorry Chris - I hope there isn't a rule about not advertising on this site?)

post-25-1083957743_thumb.jpg

And the reverse

post-25-1083957883_thumb.jpg

Here's one I like better which I just got.

I also prefer that one to your other one up there! :D

BTW.  If anyone wants a GeoIII Northumberland or Chas II 1663 shilling I have them on eBay (only a day to go and no bids yet!).

Well, at £500 and £550, they're much too expensive for me! :(

Well, at £500 and £550, they're much too expensive for me! :(

Hmmm... maybe that's why Chris didn't take them with the rest of my stuff (see newsletter!)

So do you think I could convert you to going for hammered in a few years? ;)

So do you think I could convert you to going for hammered in a few years? ;)

Well, I don't know about converting, but I wouldn't mind collecting them as well as my milled Victorian stuff!

Btw, what was it that you put in the newsletter?

Edit: typo

Edited by william

Btw, what was it that you put in the newsletter?

It was Chris actually, in his new listings. Quite a few of the shillings (the nice ones!) are ex-me. Gotta pay for these old scraps of silver somehow!

Victorian and hammered? Why not!

Nice combination! At least you won't get bored with all those varieties.

A lifetimes collecting I'd say!

Oh - thanks for the email re the 1663 PM, at first I didn't recognise you out in the big wide world!

i would collect hammered, but there are so many different varieties of each coin to collect...

i would collect hammered, but there are so many different varieties of each coin to collect...

That doesn't really matter. You don't have to get all of them you know...

It is virtually to get all of the varieties in top condition even for the victorian bronze series, there are just so many of them.

It is virtually to get all of the varieties in top condition even for the victorian bronze series, there are just so many of them.

Yeah....

Penny Master, have you switched from Copper Victorian pennies to halfpennies?

Yes,that would be half pennies, PM

Why don't you start at 1902 PM?

I don't really know, I just like the victoria old head I suppose.

I don't really know, I just like the victoria old head I suppose.

I prefer the Young Head, I reckon it's the best out of all the Victorian effigies...

my favourite was always the jubilee head, with the gothic in second, the bun in third, the young in fourth... and what ever's left last.