British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mark Nasoni

Two versions of the £2 Abolition of the Slave Trade coin?

Apologies if this is answered or covered elsewhere but I've got two versions of the 2007 £2 coin commemorating the abolition of the slave trade and can't find any mention of the fact there are two versions on sites.

There are a number of differences I've noted:

- On one the ring around the portrait reads "ELIZABETH II D G REG FID DEF" and has "TWO POUNDS" below it; on the other version the rind around the portrait reads "ELIZABETH II DEI GRA REG FID DEF" and omits the two pound lettering

- The background on the reverse behind the '1807' design is smooth on one coin and rough on the other

- The orientation of the letter on the rim of the coins differ; on one the lettering is right side up when the portrait side is facing upwards; on the other the lettering is upside down when the portrait side is facing upwards.

Anyone have information on why there are two versions? Or can you point me to information?

Thanks,

Mark Nasoni

Apologies if this is answered or covered elsewhere but I've got two versions of the 2007 £2 coin commemorating the abolition of the slave trade and can't find any mention of the fact there are two versions on sites.

There are a number of differences I've noted:

- On one the ring around the portrait reads "ELIZABETH II D G REG FID DEF" and has "TWO POUNDS" below it; on the other version the rind around the portrait reads "ELIZABETH II DEI GRA REG FID DEF" and omits the two pound lettering

- The background on the reverse behind the '1807' design is smooth on one coin and rough on the other

- The orientation of the letter on the rim of the coins differ; on one the lettering is right side up when the portrait side is facing upwards; on the other the lettering is upside down when the portrait side is facing upwards.

Anyone have information on why there are two versions? Or can you point me to information?

Thanks,

Mark Nasoni

I think the first obverse lettering (including two pounds) is normal for this type. All the other bi-metallic issues (except 1997) have the second lettering you mention. I think the reverse background should be rough. The orientation of the edge lettering is random, although you should check to see if it is the correct lettering for the type ("Am I not a man and a brother").

The simplest explanation is that one coin was made with the wrong obverse by mistake. A nice find!

Mark

Any chance of some photos?

Any chance of some photos?

I've taken a few; I've learned how hard it is to take photos of coins (with a cheap camera) but hopefully these help to see the differences. Because you really need the highest resolution ones to see the differences best I've put the photos up on Flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clarknasoni/s...57611050777401/

as you can see the high resolution ones there.

I'm attaching some reduced resolution ones here as well (under the 150K limit).

There are a few photos of the two coins side by side showing the obverse and reverse sides. I've kept the coin that seems to be 'standard' on the left.

I also took a two photos of the edge of the two coins. The wording on both is the same but I did notice the character spacing is not. For both photos I lined up the ' A ' in '... A MAN AND ...' on both coins; the photos show how the difference in spacing slowly offsets the two.

It does seem the obverse sides are just the two different designs used on £2 coins recently and for some reason the 'odd' coin here is just using the older design (as mint_mark pointed out).

But the differences on the reverse side are interesting. The difference in the background between the two (rough on one and smooth on the other) is interesting. I think you can see this best in the 'reverse side by side 2' photo.

I also noticed (only after looking at the photos) the one coin (the 'odd' one) has a 'DG' mark to the right bottom of the '7' in '1807'. This is best seen in the 'reverse side by side 3' photo.

Any idea what that mark indicates or is representing?

If anyone has suggestions on how to take better photos of coins, I'd like to hear.

Thanks for any info you may have here.

Mark

post-4109-1229027041_thumb.jpg

post-4109-1229027216_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark

Was interested to read about the two versions of the two pound coin.

I've checked the ones i have and they seem to be the standard circulated versions with the correct obverse. However they do not have the initials DG on the reverse. I also checked my silver proof version and that DOES have the DG initials on it. Reading the accompanying COA the designer of the reverse was a DAVID GENTLEMAN so i guess they would be his initials, much like the IRB on the obverse for IAN RANK BROADLEY.

Hope this sheds some light on the DG initials.

Guest Gail Carpenter

I have just found a £2 coin stating DG after Elizabethsome name and also stating on the edges.(am I not a man or a brother). Could you tell me how much this could be worth please.

I have just been to the paper shop and been given an odd looking £1 coin in my change.

Can anyone tell me if this is rare and worth much , i have not seen one like it before as it is a funny looking shape ?.

Thanks.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Haha 1

I'll give you 50p

pawn stars valuation guide just came in today- 

G-10p

VF-20p

EF-50p

UNC-85p

if you get it graded the top value you can expect for this(MS70) would be 90p.

It's a mint error Pete, if it's the wrong shape. Hang on to it, whatever you do. :)

7 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

It's a mint error Pete, if it's the wrong shape. Hang on to it, whatever you do. :)

I was that excited i phoned the royal mint up.

They told me billions will be in circulation this week :o

However if i want a nice one on a card they would be happy to send me one for £15 :wacko:

Joking aside.....In the daily mirror today they say"Will be collectable within ten years as we start to stop using cash "

:lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Joking aside.....In the daily mirror today they say"Will be collectable within ten years as we start to stop using cash "

:lol:

I wish I could get a job in journalism. I can make stuff up just as well as the next bloke. Probably better, actually. B)

Edited by mrbadexample

Just now, mrbadexample said:

I wish I could get a job in journalism. I can make stuff up just as well as the next bloke. Probably better, actually. B)

You stopped using cash years ago Jon :P

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

You stopped using cash years ago Jon :P

Fair point. :D

Guest Baz
On 12/10/2008 at 5:55 PM, mint_mark said:

I think the first obverse lettering (including two pounds) is normal for this type. All the other bi-metallic issues (except 1997) have the second lettering you mention. I think the reverse background should be rough. The orientation of the edge lettering is random, although you should check to see if it is the correct lettering for the type ("Am I not a man and a brother").

The simplest explanation is that one coin was made with the wrong obverse by mistake. A nice find!

Mark 

There is two types a rough face with no initials. ..then there is the very rare smooth faced with the initials at the side that is part of a presintation set that coin is a rare find if your coin has a smooth face and initials at the side of 1807 then it's a very sort after coin

Guest Baz

There is two types a rough face with no initials. ..then there is the very rare smooth faced with the initials at the side that is part of a presintation set that coin is a rare find if your coin has a smooth face and initials at the side of 1807 then it's a very sort after coin