British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bronze & Copper Collector

NEW UNLISTED VARIETY of 1873 HALF-PENNY

I think it's a C# - not too sure on the obverse.

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

I think it's a C# - not too sure on the obverse.

I'm thinking obverse 8 as opposed to 7 because :

Base of bust and the F D colons are further away from lin circle, than a 7. And the first I of Victoria doesn't tilt to the left, as it does on 7.

Not the best of coins but I'm pleased to have found an example. Judging from previous posts, population was 9, so still a rarity.

• Like 1

Definitely an 8+C#   (I was the underbidder!)   The best diagnostic is the position of the leaves of the wreath relative to the colon after DG.  On obverse 7, the two front leaves are higher and almost touch the colon.  I now have records of 18 existing.  Much rarer is the 7+C# of which I believe only 5 are known.

18 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Definitely an 8+C#   (I was the underbidder!)   The best diagnostic is the position of the leaves of the wreath relative to the colon after DG.  On obverse 7, the two front leaves are higher and almost touch the colon.  I now have records of 18 existing.  Much rarer is the 7+C# of which I believe only 5 are known.

I would tend to concur with you on your determination. My comparison of certain diagnostic indicators led me to that conclusion too.

I'm not sure what the current known population is, so I will defer to your numbers.

For the census, currently i have two obverse 8's, as well as two obverse 7's which include the discovery coin.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 7:28 PM, Martinminerva said:

The leaves near the D:G: was the note I had left to myself but I wasn't quite sure.

Nice find anyway.

6 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I'm not sure what the current known population is, so I will defer to your numbers.

For the census, currently i have two obverse 8's, as well as two obverse 7's which include the discovery coin.

Thanks very much. Do any other members have any specimens of 7+C# to add to the census?