British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The other day I was shown a new 20p coin which has the new Matthew Dent reverse but the obverse of its predecessor. Consequently it had no date as the new designs have the date on the obverse. It was clearly a mule and I wonder whether this is a one-off or whether there might be more of them out there. Something to look out for.

BTW - have you noticed that the effigies on the new designs are slightly larger than on the previous Ian Rank Broadley one, as well as being in shallower relief?

Geoff

The other day I was shown a new 20p coin which has the new Matthew Dent reverse but the obverse of its predecessor. Consequently it had no date as the new designs have the date on the obverse. It was clearly a mule and I wonder whether this is a one-off or whether there might be more of them out there. Something to look out for.

BTW - have you noticed that the effigies on the new designs are slightly larger than on the previous Ian Rank Broadley one, as well as being in shallower relief?

Geoff

I found this article on the coin news website.

Check your change everybody - after 25 years (the last instance being with the 1983 New Pence/Two pence reverse) the Royal Mint have let a mule slip through their usually strict quality control!

The 20p coin has been minted with the old obverse and new "jigsaw puzzle" reverse so of course it has no date - at this stage we don't know how many coins got out but it won't be many so start looking!

As far as we're aware this is the first time, since the advent of milled coinage certainly, that a circulating coin has appeared with no date.

A Royal Mint spokesperson said:

“The Royal Mint can confirm that a small number of new design 20 pence coins have been incorrectly struck using the obverse from the previous design, resulted in these coins having no date.

“The issue has now been resolved and the Royal Mint would like to reassure members of the public that these coins are legal tender.

“Prior to the new reverse designs which were launched in April 2008, the date appeared on the reverse side of the 20p. As the date on the new designs has been moved to the obverse side, minting the coin with the new reverse but previous obverse has meant no date appears on the coin.â€

Geoff

I found this article on the coin news website.

Check your change everybody - after 25 years (the last instance being with the 1983 New Pence/Two pence reverse) the Royal Mint have let a mule slip through their usually strict quality control!

The 20p coin has been minted with the old obverse and new "jigsaw puzzle" reverse so of course it has no date - at this stage we don't know how many coins got out but it won't be many so start looking!

As far as we're aware this is the first time, since the advent of milled coinage certainly, that a circulating coin has appeared with no date.

A Royal Mint spokesperson said:

“The Royal Mint can confirm that a small number of new design 20 pence coins have been incorrectly struck using the obverse from the previous design, resulted in these coins having no date.

“The issue has now been resolved and the Royal Mint would like to reassure members of the public that these coins are legal tender.

“Prior to the new reverse designs which were launched in April 2008, the date appeared on the reverse side of the 20p. As the date on the new designs has been moved to the obverse side, minting the coin with the new reverse but previous obverse has meant no date appears on the coin.â€

thanks for the insight into this one, would you possibly be able to post the link to where you found this info, as i have one of these coins and would like to keep track of the progress

thanks

carl

thanks for the insight into this one, would you possibly be able to post the link to where you found this info, as i have one of these coins and would like to keep track of the progress

thanks

carl

Carl

Here is the link.

Token Publishing

Mark

thank you B)

A pleasure.

Mark

I'll need to keep a look out for one in my change now. :D

Does anyone have a picture of the obverse and reverse of the 20p Mule?

Bob C.

Hi I am glad I found this site. I am pleased to say I found one my desk yesterday by chance noticing the error. So far I have counted the ones that I have seen reported on the web and it is about 5 so far including mine. One was sold on ebay for £2.20 earlier this month (wish I had been there). Now news is getting out one is being sold with 2 normal coins for comparison current price £100!!!! with 2 days left to go.

This is potentially very exciting, if indeed only a relatively small amount has got through as reported by the Royal mint. However I don't know whether to sell now as there could be many thousands if already about 5 have been reported..

It was a relief though to hear they are not fakes. When the Royal mint reports there are not many how many could that be. Is it a case of how long is a piece of string??? Is it just a few seconds on the production line or hours when thousands and thousands are churned out??? It interesting though as their standards are normally so high.

May post pics of mine later if I have time...

Russ777

Hi I am glad I found this site. I am pleased to say I found one my desk yesterday by chance noticing the error. So far I have counted the ones that I have seen reported on the web and it is about 5 so far including mine. One was sold on ebay for £2.20 earlier this month (wish I had been there). Now news is getting out one is being sold with 2 normal coins for comparison current price £100!!!! with 2 days left to go.

This is potentially very exciting, if indeed only a relatively small amount has got through as reported by the Royal mint. However I don't know whether to sell now as there could be many thousands if already about 5 have been reported..

It was a relief though to hear they are not fakes. When the Royal mint reports there are not many how many could that be. Is it a case of how long is a piece of string??? Is it just a few seconds on the production line or hours when thousands and thousands are churned out??? It interesting though as their standards are normally so high.

May post pics of mine later if I have time...

Russ777

Judging by the responses to this thread, it seems that a fair few may have been released into circulation. Probably won't be woth a fortune, but nonetheless they will be fun to look out for.

I offered someone £30 for one when it was a real unknown (also in the forum somewhere). Now it looks like there may be lots I'll abandon that offer and just look out for one.

I offered someone £30 for one when it was a real unknown (also in the forum somewhere). Now it looks like there may be lots I'll abandon that offer and just look out for one.

I think £30 still looks a good buy if you can get one....Spread over the whole country there may not be such a huge amount. It could still be only a small part of that batch which was struck with that error.

Can anyone say why they are syaing a ' small amount [/i'] in the Royal Mint's statement about the error???

Here is a pic error one (mule) to left normal 2008 coin to right

scan0025-16.jpg

scan0026-16.jpg

Hope this is of interest to everyone.

Guest fiverboy

Hi,

I have just found a 20 pence mule, No date, i am not a coin collector and would be interested to know its value. and wether it would be worth keeping for a while or selling on ebay.

regards fiverboy

I don't have one, but I'd like to have one. I've offered £30 in the past. Something around that figure acceptable?

The Chair of South Manchester Numismatic Society, of which I'm Secretary, contactd the Royal Mint on this one. They replied saying that it affected a whole batch and the figures are between 100,000 and 200,000 coins.

Geoff

Hi,

I have just found a 20 pence mule, No date, i am not a coin collector and would be interested to know its value. and wether it would be worth keeping for a while or selling on ebay.

regards fiverboy

On ebay one made £83 yesterday, last week one went for £100 so the trend is downwards already.

The Chair of South Manchester Numismatic Society, of which I'm Secretary, contactd the Royal Mint on this one. They replied saying that it affected a whole batch and the figures are between 100,000 and 200,000 coins.

Geoff

Not going to be worth a fortune then. Once the word gets around, the whole lot will be pulled out of circulation pretty sharpish. Still worth looking out for though.

Guest fiverboy

Geoff

one has just sold on Ebay for£138.

I have two 20p with 1 above hm will be putting them on with the mule no date

fiverboy

Geoff

one has just sold on Ebay for£138.

I have two 20p with 1 above hm will be putting them on with the mule no date

fiverboy

Looks like the trend for the timebeing then is not downwards £138 being the highest achieved yet but might not last long as soon as the serious collectors have them.....

Yes the ones with 1 above them are interesting too, I think it means die 1 the first ever batch of 20ps produced.... so is just as rare as the mule and interesting as the first of anything produced is always collected..

One sold on Ebay for £200 to a collector. There is another for sale £150.00

Looks like the trend for the timebeing then is not downwards £138 being the highest achieved yet but might not last long as soon as the serious collectors have them.....

Yes the ones with 1 above them are interesting too, I think it means die 1 the first ever batch of 20ps produced.... so is just as rare as the mule and interesting as the first of anything produced is always collected..

One sold on Ebay for £200 to a collector. There is another for sale £150.00

If the mintage of 100,000 - 200,000 is to be believed then these are vastly inflated prices. A good comparison of the long-term value would be to look at the price of the 1951 penny (c.120,000 minted) F=£3; VF=£8; EF=£12; UNC/BU=£20/£30. Best to wait for the fuss to die down before getting one.

If the mintage of 100,000 - 200,000 is to be believed then these are vastly inflated prices. A good comparison of the long-term value would be to look at the price of the 1951 penny (c.120,000 minted) F=£3; VF=£8; EF=£12; UNC/BU=£20/£30. Best to wait for the fuss to die down before getting one.

Surely the fact that there are currently 10 'no date' 20p on eBay, and three with the 1 by MD suggests even to the most simple mind that £233 is slightly over the top!

Yes, it probably was. I certainly wouldn't have paid that much for one. Now that the word is spreading more people are aware and searching for them. 100,000 is pretty scarce for a circulating coin though, if there are as many as that. When was the last time you saw a 1988 shield back £1 coin? And there are 7 million of those somewhere.

Yes, it probably was. I certainly wouldn't have paid that much for one. Now that the word is spreading more people are aware and searching for them. 100,000 is pretty scarce for a circulating coin though, if there are as many as that. When was the last time you saw a 1988 shield back £1 coin? And there are 7 million of those somewhere.

not seen a 1988 pound in ages.

but i agree, if there are around 100,000 i would put it at about the same value as the 1992 50p as a guide