British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

7255carl

new 20p coin

hi all, apologies if this is a daft question, on friday i got a new design 20p coin in my change at the local supermarket, firstly have these coins been officially released yet as i have only seen 1p 2p and 5p until now (in circulation), secondly it struck me as odd that this coin did not have a year stamped on it....does anyone have any info on this?

thanks in advance

carl

hi all, apologies if this is a daft question, on friday i got a new design 20p coin in my change at the local supermarket, firstly have these coins been officially released yet as i have only seen 1p 2p and 5p until now (in circulation), secondly it struck me as odd that this coin did not have a year stamped on it....does anyone have any info on this?

thanks in advance

carl

I have had in my change the 1p 2p 5p 10p and 20p and they all have the year 2008 on the obverse side. They have been officially released otherwise you would not see them in your change.

I'm not to keen on the new designs myself, they seem to have lost all personality, not that the decimal coins had much anyway.

Do you like the new desgins Carl?

Mark

thanks for the response, i must admit im not a great fan of the new designs either, still confused as to why this one isnt dated :huh:

carl

thanks for the response, i must admit im not a great fan of the new designs either, still confused as to why this one isnt dated :huh:

carl

Looks as if this might tiie up with Geoff T's post under the 'Lots of British Coin Related Discussions' section.

Another mule! Sounds like there may be a few of these. I'll offer you £30 for it right now (and take the risk that they may be fairly common).

hi everyone, just an update on this coin, a friend of mine contacted the royal mint about this for me as i was stuck at work and they are very keen on me sending it to them for analysis, so i have done... is this common??

thanks on advance

carl

hi everyone, just an update on this coin, a friend of mine contacted the royal mint about this for me as i was stuck at work and they are very keen on me sending it to them for analysis, so i have done... is this common??

thanks on advance

carl

Hi this is the first Uk mule for 25 years. So not common over all that time last one was the 2p error. However the royal mint are saying a small number are affected and one one batch is involved which is still fairly exciting even if not a handful!!!

I can see one selling on Ebay for £100 with about a day to go. I also have found one which is why I stumbled here. not sure whether to sell now as there could be a huge amount a batch varies from 100,000 to 200,000. I am trying to see if the whole batch was struck.

Stilll interesting valuable or not. Very few errors of this magnitude get past the Royal mints tight quality control procedures!

The occurance of a mule is certainly rare, but there was another one, although not a circulation coin....the 1994 gold £2 coin with the BofE reverse and the wrong 'double sovereign' type obverse.

i may have another mule, i got one the past week, and comparing it to pictures on the royal mint site, the TWENTY seems to be slightly off centre (the T and Y almost touch the edge of the coin)

A mule is a coin made of a pair of mis-matched dies, not to be confused with an 'error'.