British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Lomax

Hi :D

I've recently been re bitten by the coin collecting bug and I came across this website after seeing it in Check Your Change 2008 and so I decided to come along and 'check' it out (Pardon then pun :P)

I've had an interest in coins since I was a boy growing up in the 70's when I kept a few of the older Shillings and Florins that I found in my change, but I've only recently started collecting coins in any serious manner. I've decide rather than to collect date runs or one set of specific denomination of coin, to collect one of each denomination from each monarch starting with our present Queen backwards. Luckily, as I kept a few of the older coins that I had when I was a boy, I had a nice start with pre decimal coins and now have nearly one of each denomination going back to Queen Victoria.

For me it has always been the story of the coin that I have found interesting, that is to say, that I often wonder the history of the actual coin, who had it, what did they buy with it when they spent it, things like that really. Am I odd for thinking that ? lol My wifer seems to think so, lol :P

Anyway I digress otherwise I'll be here all night talking away boring you to sleep, lol :P

A very warm welcome to you!!

I'm more of a hammered man but look forward to seeing your coins and reading your posts. ;)

I know what you mean about coins with a story, holding an Anglo-Saxon penny and just thinking of what it could tell... :)

For me it has always been the story of the coin that I have found interesting, that is to say, that I often wonder the history of the actual coin, who had it, what did they buy with it when they spent it, things like that really. Am I odd for thinking that ? lol My wifer seems to think so, lol :P

Anyway I digress otherwise I'll be here all night talking away boring you to sleep, lol :P

Hi!

No, you are not odd for thinking that! As a 12 year old boy on vacation in England, I saw some Pennies dated 18XX. And I had the same thoughts as you. A coin 100 years old, being used by people born in the 18 century. What could be bought with 1 Penny in for example 1850 and so on, the same questions that you are asking. Did you know for example that nobody in whole Europe thought about "cleaning oneself"? at that time? I read that Queen Victoria has been in a bathtube 3 times all in her lifetime (and there were no showers at that time), and that is probably one or two times more than the German Goethe was in there (perhaps three times more). I've never been interested in (allday) history as a school boy, starting collecting (Victorian) coins now I am.

Your question (similiar) has already been discussed in another thread a few days ago. So take a look at:

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4085

Holger

Thank you all for a very warm welcome :)

I know what you mean about coins with a story, holding an Anglo-Saxon penny and just thinking of what it could tell... :)
No, you are not odd for thinking that! As a 12 year old boy on vacation in England, I saw some Pennies dated 18XX. And I had the same thoughts as you. A coin 100 years old, being used by people born in the 18 century. What could be bought with 1 Penny in for example 1850 and so on, the same questions that you are asking.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has such thoughts, lol It is just something that fascinates me infinitely and I often imagine the "What If's" when I'm holding the coins.

Did you know for example that nobody in whole Europe thought about "cleaning oneself"? at that time? I read that Queen Victoria has been in a bathtube 3 times all in her lifetime (and there were no showers at that time), and that is probably one or two times more than the German Goethe was in there (perhaps three times more). I've never been interested in (allday) history as a school boy, starting collecting (Victorian) coins now I am.

Indeed I did know about the cleanliness of our not so remote ancestors, lol But to be honest not a lot has changed to this day with some people :P To me it just reenforces the fact that one should wash their hands after handling coins of any era, lol

I've had an interest in coins since I was a boy growing up in the 70's when I kept a few of the older Shillings and Florins that I found in my change, but I've only recently started collecting coins in any serious manner. I've decide rather than to collect date runs or one set of specific denomination of coin, to collect one of each denomination from each monarch starting with our present Queen backwards. Luckily, as I kept a few of the older coins that I had when I was a boy, I had a nice start with pre decimal coins and now have nearly one of each denomination going back to Queen Victoria.

My wife would definitely be in agreement with yours...

Actually, I went through doing much the same kind of thing myself, but you really have to accept that without a king's ransom, there are some denominations/monarchs that you just will not get. What price double sovereigns, five pound coins, anything Edward VIII? If you understand that this type of collection has to be tempered with an acceptance of what is achievable, then you will have great fun doing it. I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by Red Riley

But there are some thoughts that our modern obsession with hygiene is the reason we have so many infectious diseases such as MRSA. My mother used to say "you must eat a peck of dirt before you die". Kids nowadays just are not exposed to germs to enable them to build up immunities. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you... We have gotten to a state of cleanliness that is becoming dangerous to all of us (especially with the advent of Antibacterial hand washes, etc, which not only kill the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria that lives on us that actually helps us) because as you say the ability to build up an immune system to fight of diseases has been stripped away from us...

I must admit, I think that your mother has a point, lol ;):)

My wife would definitely be in agreement with yours...

Actually, I went through doing much the same kind of thing myself, but you really have to accept that without a king's ransom, there are some denominations/monarchs that you just will not get. What price double sovereigns, five pound coins, anything Edward VIII? If you understand that this type of collection has to be tempered with an acceptance of what is achievable, then you will have great fun doing it. I wish you the best of luck.

I couldn't agree more :)

That is at least in part the reason why I decided to collect the coins that I am collecting... Would I like one of each denomination is BU/Proof condition? Of course I would, who wouldn't? But practicallity has to dictate and it is just not possible to do that due to not only the cost, but actually sourcing the coins, and I think that as a coin collecter I should be realistic about that. :)

To me it also made sense for me to collect in this way as instead of sourcing and buying one of each coin for each year issued in the best ccondition that I could afford, I can be much more selective about the coins that I do buy as I'm only collecting one of each denomination instead of a whole run I can pick and choose from a wider range of coins and select the best one to fit my budget :)