British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

1935 rocking horse crown edge error

I have a 1935 'rocking horse' crown. The edge inscription is 'upside down'. Is this the error mentioned in Spink?

I have a 1935 'rocking horse' crown. The edge inscription is 'upside down'. Is this the error mentioned in Spink?

No. there is a 50-50 chance of which way up the write appears. There are two edge error types. 1/ Proof, the writing is out of order. 2/ Currency piece, out of position and words skipped.

Unfortunately not, so it is on mine! The error edge is where the wording of the inscription has been jumbled up.

The correct inscription (ie the common one) is: DECUS ET TUTAMEN * ANNO REGNI XXV *

either Obverse or Reverse upright.

Thank for that everyone. I can't believe that guy selling that coin, I wish I had his cheek! Never mind. Does anyone know f a book or site which deals with error coins (English, not American) as this is interesting. Cheers!

This has in no way deterred this ebay seller from chancing his arm!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...rksid=p3907.m29

Incidentally Gary, is there an infallible method of distinguishing a well struck 'ordinary' coin from the specimen issue?

Is there I would be very interested in knowing how. Regarding the seller on ebay, he keeps putting it up and the first time I saw his auction I emailed him and pointed out his error, no pun intended.... obviously just trying to catch the unwary.

Here is a picture of my currency edge error.

1935_3.jpg

post-462-1224326665_thumb.jpg

Thank for that everyone. I can't believe that guy selling that coin, I wish I had his cheek! Never mind. Does anyone know f a book or site which deals with error coins (English, not American) as this is interesting. Cheers!

Hi Bolt,

My website touches on different types of major errors but not different types of varieties or variety errors yet.

I am adding to it as and when I get time.

Just click on the link below and then on "error coins".

http://www.coinsgb.com/

Regards,

Hus

• Like 1

Guest JAN

Hello, can you let me know how the text should look. On mine when the pic of George and Dragon is facing upwards, the text reads correctly.  

Have you not answered your own question? i.e. it reads correctly. :huh: