British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sylvester

Pocket pieces...

Do any of you walk around with a special coin in your pocket? (or do you have a whole retinue of coins stacked up for pocket piece duties and you rotate?)

Currently i'm carrying around two coins...

a Poor+ Charles II Half guinea, and a 1697 William III halfcrown with counterstamping.

Both are now getting that shiny rubbed look from mingling with all the other coins... (well i keep them in the pocket where i put the shiny ones that i haul out of circulation, and the machin stuff), they now look cleaned on the highest points, lets see how far it goes. :D

Might sell the half guinea one day at Bullion Value, if there's anything left. ;)

Why do you carry around a pocket piece anyway? I don't carry one around with me, but if you tell me the point of it I might start... :) If I was to start, I know just the coin...

Why do you carry around a pocket piece anyway? I don't carry one around with me, but if you tell me the point of it I might start... :) If I was to start, I know just the coin...

Some people carry them for luck, some like to have a conversation piece... some probably just like to impress the ladies, 'hey ma'am have you seen my William III five guinea piece!' :D

I just like being able to carry around a piece of history with me. It worked out rather nice that, cos as it turned out we were talking about Charles II in history and i just thought, well at least one thing in this room is contemporary to all this, if only coins could talk hey... it'd be great in the exam! :D

That an i always like to carry around a bit of silver, i have a Morgan Dollar just for the purpose. (it kinda makes up for all this modern fiat money... [that's money without intrinsic value] )

Oh right. :) I have a couple of candidates up for my pocket piece:

• 1853 dime
  • Low grade gothic florin
  • Indian half anna
  • A set of a few old French coins

Oh right. :) I have a couple of candidates up for my pocket piece:
  • 1853 dime
  • Low grade gothic florin
  • Indian half anna
  • A set of a few old French coins

i've actually got a low grade gothic that i nearly press ganged into pocket piece service.

Always nice ones they are!

Is that a seated Liberty dime?

I have an old Irish penny mounted in marble that goes with me where I go!

Cool! :D

Anyone else?

If I had anything, I'd probably end up loosing it.!

I sometimes like to carry a fiver around, then I sometimes whip it out to show people what a real banknote should look like, in comparison to the Euro tosh (I hate the Euro notes much more than the coins). Then on my next UK visit I end up spending it usually.

If I had anything, I'd probably end up loosing it.!

I sometimes like to carry a fiver around, then I sometimes whip it out to show people what a real banknote should look like, in comparison to the Euro tosh (I hate the Euro notes much more than the coins). Then on my next UK visit I end up spending it usually.

i've got a €5 note, ain't they horrible! :angry:

You just reminded me i've got one of those Cordial whatsit £5 coins in my pocket too, i'm just trying to see if chucking it around will make it look any better or not.

See if i can own the most circulated example... :D

In January I took my George II coronation medals to a performance of Robert King's reconstruction of the event. It gave me a certain buzz to feel that one of them, at least, had been distributed at the real thing in 1727.

If I carry anything around it tends to be in the wallet rather than the pocket. Last thing was an EF Straits Settlement silver dollar of 1907.

Yes!!

I think I will start using a pocket piece, it shall be an 1858 two Konekh from Russia!

Always got a broken piece of an 8 Reale about two thirds the normal size

This coin led us to a nice little haul around 300 for the team.

It was jammed in the rocks, and at the base of the rock we found the haul.

It makes a nice talking point as when diving and treasure hunting comes up.

Most people haven’t got a clue what a piece of eight looks like, but they have all heard about Treasure Island/Long John Silver and his scrawny parrot squawking “pieces of eightâ€

“pieces of eightâ€

Cheers

Bob

post-31-1083270741_thumb.jpg

Yes!!

I think I will start using a pocket piece, it shall be an 1858 two Konekh from Russia!

I think that's probably a 2 Kopek William. You cannot directly convert the cyrillic letters into their nearest looking western version.

well he just did!

I wasn't overly sure when I tried to convert them. Thanks Chris! :D