British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

German 1918

Germany10mark1918.jpgGermany10markr.jpg

One for you Chris!

Found this in a quantity of dross in a car boot sale. It appears to be a town issue? Was that usual? Nothing in Krause (not surprising). Any info?

It says that it's "small change replacement mark"....which I would translate to a token rather that a Notgeld issue. I've never seen one. Perhaps an amusement token or something like that?

The date, of course, would be a time of turmoil and I was wondering if there was any attempt to resurrect the old divisions of the states? B)

Bingen on Rein is a town not a state. And as far as I know it was part of Germany before and after WWI, so not disputed territory or lost after the Versaille treaty.

:D Ta! B)

Germany10mark1918.jpgGermany10markr.jpg

One for you Chris!

Found this in a quantity of dross in a car boot sale. It appears to be a town issue? Was that usual? Nothing in Krause (not surprising). Any info?

The town Bingen is a beautiful small town in the Rhinevalley. I come from Ingelheim, which is 2 miles away from Bingen. Chris is right, the coin you are showing is a token, in German numismatic terms Notgeld. Unfortunately I could not find out very much to that special coin or "Kleingeldersatzmünzen" in general. One of the few things I could find out, that this "Kleingeldersatzmünzen" as part of the "Notgeld" during Worldwar I have been used as a substitution for regular coinage espacially for the small denominations in the time between 1916 and 1922.

There is special literature for those coins, the standard catalogue seems to be from somebody named Funck, look at: http://www.amazon.de/Notm%C3%BCnzen-deutsc...n/dp/3924861404 (Part 1, there also exists a Part 2).

You will find lots of examples for that kind of coinage, if you try http://muenzen.shop.ebay.de/items/Ersatzmu...1QQ_sacatZ21802 - I'm afraid, those coins are quite cheap to get.

Holger

The town Bingen is a beautiful small town in the Rhinevalley. I come from Ingelheim, which is 2 miles away from Bingen. Chris is right, the coin you are showing is a token, in German numismatic terms Notgeld. Unfortunately I could not find out very much to that special coin or "Kleingeldersatzmünzen" in general. One of the few things I could find out, that this "Kleingeldersatzmünzen" as part of the "Notgeld" during Worldwar I have been used as a substitution for regular coinage espacially for the small denominations in the time between 1916 and 1922.

There is special literature for those coins, the standard catalogue seems to be from somebody named Funck, look at: http://www.amazon.de/Notm%C3%BCnzen-deutsc...n/dp/3924861404 (Part 1, there also exists a Part 2).

You will find lots of examples for that kind of coinage, if you try http://muenzen.shop.ebay.de/items/Ersatzmu...1QQ_sacatZ21802 - I'm afraid, those coins are quite cheap to get.

Holger

Thanks for the links! I still can't find one of the same type. I presume it is a 10 pfennig, although the legend states 'KLEINGELDERSATZMARKE'. I must try to get to Bingen if I repeat my tours, by car, of Germany. :D

It could be another collection to pursue in the future!

Edited by Geordie582

Thanks for the links! I still can't find one of the same type. I presume it is a 10 pfennig, although the legend states 'KLEINGELDERSATZMARKE'. I must try to get to Bingen if I repeat my tours, by car, of Germany. :D

It could be another collection to pursue in the future!

You are right concerning the offers from ebay, espacially for "Kleingeldersatzmarken", sorry. But you will find those under http://www.muenzauktion.info/auction/searc...geldersatzmarke. Prices are between 3,00 € and 50,00 €.

Great sites! All bookmarked for future use! :rolleyes:

Great sites! All bookmarked for future use! :rolleyes:

I don't want to bore you, but that coin you showed awakend my interest (close to my hometown). As already mentioned, your coin is a part of "Notgeld" in Germany during Worldwar I. All of the "Notgeld" issues have been forbidden by law in the "Weimarer Republik" (I'm living in Weimar now!). All owners of "Notgeld" coinage were said, that they have to change that coinage into regular coinage in a time of three months. I found a view of that law in the most original form you can imagine.

Look at:

http://alex.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno-plu...mp;x=11&y=8

Thanks, Stechlin, but my German is sketchy at best, being the sort used by servicemen after a 3 year tour of the country (that the family all enjoyed enough to return as often as possible). Babelfish cannot translate as it is in the old script. I'll eventually get the gist with use of a German/English dictionary - but it will take me months! :o

The exercise will be interesting, though and I did manage an old news article in an old paper found in one of the houses in which we lodged. The auction sites linked above are really interesting and "I shall return" to quote a Yank :D

Or "I'll be back" to quote an Austrian!

I like that old German script, some of the signs are still written like that around here....the local museum and the little village voluntary fire station.

Vielen Dank fuer den Zeitungsausschnitt. Auch mir gefaellt die gotische Schrift - gotische Handschrift lesen ist aber nicht so einfach :-)

Geoff

Respekt Geoff!

I'll translate for members not called 'Stechlin'....

Geoff says thankyou for the newspaper cutting. He says he likes the old (Gothic) German typeface too, but that he finds the written form not so easy to read.

A typo error, missing 'n' in Zeitungsausschnitt, and should it be 'den'? Somehow that doesn't look right but knowing Geoff, it probably is.

Should I start a German forum branch? Probably a bit pointless.

Missing "n" duly noted and edited :D Ausschnitt is masculine so den is correct, nicht wahr?

Anyone who's spent time poring over manuscript letters in Gothic handwriting will know what I mean. Even when it's neat it takes some getting into. When it's not (like Brahms's handwriting) it can looked like a spider on acid.

G

Vielen Dank fuer den Zeitungsausschnitt. Auch mir gefaellt die gotische Schrift - gotische Handschrift lesen ist aber nicht so einfach :-)

Geoff

Great! Only elderly female German teachers would find mistakes in your two perfect German sentences. I can't find a missing "n" in Zeitungsausschnitt and the word "den" before is also correct. I'm very pleased about your german answer, thanks. I keep quite about Chris' comments, otherwise I risk, he kicks me out of this forum :D

Holger

There was a missing 'n' but he inserted it retrospectively!