British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Kronos

The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins

Chris

I received the 2 halfcrowns today that I ordered, thank you. I notice a leaflet in the jiffy advertising the new Rotographic book due for release in early 2009 'The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins'.

This sound like a great book and I for one will definitely be purchasing a copy. Is there anyway I can place an order for the book now? The leaflet states that you can register an interest at www.rotograhic.com but I can't see anywhere on the website that mentions the new book.

One question I do have and that is will it be a hardback book.

Thanks

Mark

Yes it will be a hardback (about same size as Spink). I haven't created the part on rotographic.com about this book. I've actually only sent out about 10 flyers with orders so far, as they're new. Another little something to do in-between putting together CCGB2009!

The exact publication date isn't really know because I want to get it checked by regular dealers and the BNTA first in order to reach some kind of accurate concensus. It's on Amazon with a pub date in February, but I can put that back if I need to, it depends how many people check it and how they take etc. Also, special care needs to be taken to make sure that the images come out ok, because with bad images it'll be a bad book! The author is actually the forum member Red Riley and he's worked very hard.

I'll no doubt mention it on the forum from time to time and make an announcement when it's done and deliverable.

Yes it will be a hardback (about same size as Spink). I haven't created the part on rotographic.com about this book. I've actually only sent out about 10 flyers with orders so far, as they're new. Another little something to do in-between putting together CCGB2009!

The exact publication date isn't really know because I want to get it checked by regular dealers and the BNTA first in order to reach some kind of accurate concensus. It's on Amazon with a pub date in February, but I can put that back if I need to, it depends how many people check it and how they take etc. Also, special care needs to be taken to make sure that the images come out ok, because with bad images it'll be a bad book! The author is actually the forum member Red Riley and he's worked very hard.

I'll no doubt mention it on the forum from time to time and make an announcement when it's done and deliverable.

Good luck Chris and Red! it sounds like a very worthwhile book and one which I will definitely add to my collection.

All the best,

Hus

Yes, it could hopefully be one of those books that every collector of British coins (mainly later milled of course) will want to have as a comparison and big help for novices.

I've pre-ordered a copy on Amazon.

Well there we are - what a cracking idea - just what we all need.

As I have said on a different topic, I haven't been around much lately but not surprisingly I would like to add a little more to this thread. The guide really is getting there, and although I hate to blow my own trumpet, I don't think you will be disappointed! Chris and I agreed at an early stage that as grading is such a contentious issue, we would get my initial draft (including pictures) checked through by a number of experts just in case I was out on a limb in any particular area. Only once that exercise had been completed would we press on to publication.

As well as to inform, my personal style is to poke fun where I believe it needs poking, and from that point of view, I want this to be a very readable guide without, I hope, too much pomposity. You will also find that there are a number of areas in our current grading system with which I am far from happy and this too is tackled in the introduction.

So there you are, it won't be available for Christmas, but will make a darned good Easter present!

[quote name='Red Riley' post='30334' date='Sep 23 2008, 05:30 PM'

So there you are, it won't be available for Christmas, but will make a darned good Easter present!

Edited by Mark Sarul

When is Easter?

I've done CCGB09 as you know. I've also done my tax return for the 3rd quarter so now I have time to turn my attention to the hotly awaited Grading book! I don't want to guarantee any publication date though because it depends on how many and how quickly a number of other people check it and give it their approval.

When is Easter?

I've done CCGB09 as you know. I've also done my tax return for the 3rd quarter so now I have time to turn my attention to the hotly awaited Grading book! I don't want to guarantee any publication date though because it depends on how many and how quickly a number of other people check it and give it their approval.

April 10th is Good Friday.

I understand that Easter is only a possible release date, just wanted to check your not sitting there twiddling your thumbs :lol:

Mark

The records where the coin is struck what mint.

who supply the metal or flan, the distance between the mint, the master die where it is located,the metal composition,the finished of the coin brozed or bronze,change in color or toning?,the average weigth,how many high grade coin in hands of collector when was the last time it goes out in the market.

the boundaries when was the last production of a certain coin and year and what mint produce them.

just a comment

Edited by josie

What I like to see is all coins in every year full blown in color in every year .

The left page the obverse the right page the reverse.a collection of high grade coins in picture in high gloss paper, in every denomination, maybe after the grading guide book.

Next time compilation of full blown picture including varieties.

Or a references book for grading,a reference book like freeman or ccgb and a collection of picture all roll into one references book to be release in one time,archived in print or books.

expert will just keep the back up copy for safe keeping,just a comment.

Goodluck.

Just thought I would add a little update. Everything written, although I am constantly bothering Chris with minor amendments to the text, a semi-colon here, a full stop there or a little bit of extra wording to an illustration. The imagess themselves are a constantly moving feast, and although every base is covered, it is always possible to find the odd coin which gives an even more accurate picture of a particular grade - if the book took 100 years, I would still be looking for new images!

Derek

Just thought I would add a little update. Everything written, although I am constantly bothering Chris with minor amendments to the text, a semi-colon here, a full stop there or a little bit of extra wording to an illustration. The imagess themselves are a constantly moving feast, and although every base is covered, it is always possible to find the odd coin which gives an even more accurate picture of a particular grade - if the book took 100 years, I would still be looking for new images!

Derek

Thanks for the update Derek, I can't wait for the book to be released.

Mark

Any chance of an update Derek/Chris.

Thanks Mark

I've got 10 proof ring-bound copies that I picked up from the printers on Friday. These will be shown to Derek on the 14th at the London coin fair and will be given to a few select dealers for the final check.

I'm also waiting to hear from the BNTA about some kind of approval. Not essential though as many of the dealers that will get proof copies will probably be members and regardless of if the BNTA give some kind of approval or not, I will be confident that the standards shown in the book will be accurate!

I've got 10 proof ring-bound copies that I picked up from the printers on Friday. These will be shown to Derek on the 14th at the London coin fair and will be given to a few select dealers for the final check.

I'm also waiting to hear from the BNTA about some kind of approval. Not essential though as many of the dealers that will get proof copies will probably be members and regardless of if the BNTA give some kind of approval or not, I will be confident that the standards shown in the book will be accurate!

Thanks Chris

We are now well into the 'checking by experts' phase. The first two responses have been received and although both suggested alterations, to be honest that's what we gave them copies for! Aside of that, the responses were not just supportive but very enthusiastic. I always felt that this guide would be good, but with these endorsements I really feel that my time has been well spent and the guide will 'go places'!

I'll second that! Of the many many images only a very small proportion have been flagged as 'could do better'. I'm currently trying to get some kind of official BNTA approval.

Goodluck.

Who will going to approved BNTA secretary general and signed by its president?

something like a Imprimatur,it will be good and done by long and arduous collective effort of British collector and dealers.

Edited by josie

Im not good in grading.

Dealers or BNTA officials will be good,how about on the side of collectors and numismatics

is there association can make a seal of approval?

Im not good in grading.

Surprisingly few people are Josie, that's the whole point of the book. I've probably said before, but will say again, that grading, particularly on the internet can fall to the level of the blind leading the blind and the book is an attempt to put a stop to that. Yes, there will always be some room for personal opinion, but I just hate seeing Fine coins being passed off as EF to young and inexperienced collectors who in their turn pass the bad habit on to others just taking up the hobby.

Im not good in grading.

Surprisingly few people are Josie, that's the whole point of the book. I've probably said before, but will say again, that grading, particularly on the internet can fall to the level of the blind leading the blind and the book is an attempt to put a stop to that. Yes, there will always be some room for personal opinion, but I just hate seeing Fine coins being passed off as EF to young and inexperienced collectors who in their turn pass the bad habit on to others just taking up the hobby.

I know, I know. Sometimes I catch myself questioning whether trying to be eBay's stingiest grader is a particularly smart move, commmercially - when I put out a stonkingly gorgeous coin as a VF+, because that's what it is. I know that many coinies would advertise it as an UNC, and get the bids, and we'll struggle to get the asking price because we've called it VF+. Maybe it's best not to put a grade at all, but I kinda like listing with a grade because it puts a bit of a spotlight on the more blatant overgraders, and might just serve some educational purpose too.

Should have written a book....!

When I put coins on ebay I always grade them. I understand the logic (and time saving) with the 'let the photo do the talking approach' but I think actually holding your hand up and grading a coin properly, and offering a refund if not as described is far more professional. Who cares what the other amateurs are up to....and the dodgy people selling dodgy coins to other dodgy people! I want no part of that. And buyers that buy this book will clearly also want no part of that.

Viva La Revolución!

It's going to be a compulsory purchase, Chris.

We live in a bus, and we'll be making a space for it on our one bookshelf.

oh, and Mr Red Riley tells me one of our coins is in it, so it'll be something we have to show everyone we know too...