British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
4737 Carlin

Specimen Coins

Hi all

I'm fairly new to coin and note collecting, see my previous post in "Beginners Area", but am gradually building up a collection and am learning more all the time.

My question today is about "Specimen" coins. I can't seem to find much information on these, as in what they are, or why they are called specimens. I have recently bought two specimen coin sets, a 1953 QE II Coronation Specimen set and a 1960 QE II Specimen set. These sets are both in maroon cases with gold writing on the lid. I was just wondering if anyone had any information on these sets, as in why they were issued and if they were made for any particular reason?

The coins are not really Specimens (i.e. suggestive of trial coins or some sort of special strikings). Those maroon QEII sets are made up by third parties, privately (at the time). The cases are not official Royal Mint and the coins are confusingly simply 'specimens' of the coins in circulation. They simply use the word 'specimen' on the case as a posh word for 'example', or 'sample'.

There was no official 1960 set and the official 1953 sets were either cased proofs or 9 uncirculated coins in a plastic wallet.

Many thanks for the information Chris. Guess there must be a few of these sets around. I didn't pay a lot for the sets but all the coins are nice uncirculated examples so i'm happy with those.

The 1953 set actually has 10 coins, so i'm guessing the official coins in the plastic wallet didn't include the Crown.

Anyway, many thanks for the information and, as i said, i'm happy with the coins and they will make a nice addition to my small collection.

That's right, the plastic set didn't include the crown. The cased proof set did. I've also got a cased 1953 non proof set. I don't think it's official either but it includes the 1953 penny and that was only issued in the plastic sets.