British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Stechlin

1854 Penny varieties

Hi!

What a great forum that is!! All the last statements were so nice and interesting. My English is not good enough to read between the lines, but when I read Johns last post, I had the impression a special idea was already born. As John said, 1825-1860 Coppers (Pennies, Halfpennies and Farthings) has been a neglected area of numismatics. Right he is, and a new book in that area would find its buyers.

I think all of you have seen the offer for that beautiful 1859/1860 Copper Penny on ebay about two or three weeks ago. I thought about that offer very seriously, but then decided not to bid, just to expensive for me. A few weeks earlier I would have bidden (some of you might remember my post in the members area). Same thing to the still offered 1839 Proof Penny. Not strucked for currency, so I give it up. I’ve changed my mind. I have a complete date runner set of the Bronze Pennies from 1860 to 1901 (indeed up to 1970 - O.K. not the 1933 Penny, haha - I will sell those later), quite a few examples of the most interesting 1860 and 1861 Pennies and lots of “doubles†of the other years of mintage. I’ve been waiting for more than a year now for the new edition of Michael Goubys Penny book concerning those years (look at his homepage), but I will give up this too and will start to check my Bronze Pennies with the literature I already have. Peck and Freemans books are absolutely great, only the pictures could be better, that’s the reason I waited for Mr. Goubys book. In fact I will start with Chris` book. - And the help of the forum of course!

After that I will check my Copper Pennies once again with the help of the new book from John and Colin “The Victorian Copper Coinage†or "The Copper Coinage of Great Britain from 1825 to 1860" and try to complete my collection.

After that I will complete my small Silver Penny collection.

After that … No, I don’t want to get that old.

See you soon

Holger