British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest_I'm_a_Guest

getting green stuff off old pennies.

Guest guest_I'm_a_Guest

I have been collecting coins for a few years now and have questions about cleaning wheat pennies. today I found a box with about 25 pre-1950 wheat pennies, including two 1943 steel pennies. the only problen about this is that most of them have heavy oxidation turning more than half of the coins green. I was just wondering if there was a way to remove this without messing up the clearity of the lettering and dates?

If the coins aren't worth a great deal to begin with then it's best not even to try. Cleaning - and even worse, polishing - coins will invariably do more harm than good and is not recommended for anything other than a coin of no collectable value if you insist on it looking nice and shiny. Beyond that it's the quickest way to devalue a coin.

If you are keeing your pennies in a box, then if one coin has verdigris it will spread to all the coins because they are touching. Store them seperately if you do not want it to continue spreading! :D

Ah if he's keeping them in a box, my bet's that they're crappy anyway.

True

I hate to sound like a boring oldie, but to someone who posts a genuine query, no matter how basic it may seem, that could sound just a little bit dismissive. We want to be encouraging people, not frightening them away. After all, we were all innocent beginners once!

He said he had been collecting for a "few years" so I didn't class him as beginner level, even though this is the beginner's area.

i wonder what condition the zinc plated steel ones are in?

Guest guest_I'm_a_Guest

the zinc plated steel pennies are in very bad condition not really somethingf to brag about, but its just that I only have like 7 1943's in any condition, and out of those 5 I have only gotten 1 without having to buy it(well 3 with the two I found before.) lol I do have three in near mint condition in a coing book. I wouldn't have put the coins in a box, I found them that way in the basment of my appartment building. I would still consider my self a beginner because it has just been the last year or so I have been really getting in to collecting coins. I had partcial collections before but now I'm starting to get full collections. I heard that you could use a pencil eraser to erase the dirt and grime on thes coins? is it true? I tried it on some of the newer coins that I have gotten that where really dirty and dark and it cleaned them up ok. but ya. thanks for the hel! I tried to become a member wher I first posted this but when ever I try to post with my user name it says that I do not have permission to post. :(