British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

Coins of the British Empire

Probably one for Chris.

I'm thinking of trying for one coin for every 'member' of the British Empire. The only book I've come across is out of print and not on Amazon!!!

Catalogue of British Commonwealth Coins 1660- 1971" by James Remick

Anyone know where I can get at least a full list of countries and protectorates? :(

I think I googled once and found a list of all the current commonwealth countries. I don't think all were 'Empire' and some 'Empire' countries did not become Commonwealth Countries or should be kicked out (has Zimbabwe been kicked out yet?). Not all recognise the Queen still as head of state.

You could also ask Aidan, Geordie!

I think I googled once and found a list of all the current commonwealth countries. I don't think all were 'Empire' and some 'Empire' countries did not become Commonwealth Countries or should be kicked out (has Zimbabwe been kicked out yet?). Not all recognise the Queen still as head of state.

You could also ask Aidan, Geordie!

I remember coming across a flag site which I used for my site, which had them all listed along with their flag designs, it was actually a very good site.

Flag Site

Thanks for that link, Colin. I think that answers my question but I didn't expect so many! All I've got to discover now is how many produced coins during their membership (if that's the right wording)! <_<

Edited by Geordie582

Thanks for that link, Colin. I think that answers my question but I didn't expect so many! All I've got to discover now is how many produced coins during their membership (if that's the right wording)! <_<

Its a bit of a direction change for you, I don't think many had hammered coins!!! ;)

Interesting... I think my approach would be to work through Krause looking for everywhere that issued coins with (say) queen Victoria on them. What a collection that would be... I think it would include everything that could be called part of the empire.

I think Colin's site hit the nail on the head! It is just frustration waiting for an Eddy I Exeter to surface. I have a lot of foreign coins anyway and just thought a diversion might be amusing! I don't think I could collect actual coins from each era - a lot of the Protectorates just used their old style currency with nothing to show they had 'joined' the Victorian family!

I'll probably look for another hammered thread to follow once my Edward I mints is complete but who says we can't follow a couple of trails? :D

I've only got the 1901-present issue of Krause and object to paying for the earlier editon ( I could get a good hammered penny for that money!)

Edited by Geordie582

Franklin Mint produced a set of coins called 'Coins of all Nations' in the late 90's, they were the current coinage at the time of every country, where law permitted, before the Euro, in mint condition, sealed onto an A4 sized cardboard sheet,similar to the GB mint sets, with a National stamp and some information on the country and currency.

I've seen some on Ebay for a couple of quid each, might be possible to cherry pick to make a commonwealth set.

John

Edited by Chingford

I'll keep an eye out! I haven't been through all my collection of 'Foreign', (anything outside the borders of the UK islands!!). It will be interesting to find out how many I can include in the run :P

I think Colin's site hit the nail on the head! It is just frustration waiting for an Eddy I Exeter to surface. I have a lot of foreign coins anyway and just thought a diversion might be amusing! I don't think I could collect actual coins from each era - a lot of the Protectorates just used their old style currency with nothing to show they had 'joined' the Victorian family!

I'll probably look for another hammered thread to follow once my Edward I mints is complete but who says we can't follow a couple of trails? :D

I've only got the 1901-present issue of Krause and object to paying for the earlier editon ( I could get a good hammered penny for that money!)

Geordie

You can always get Krause from your local library.(I have had more of a problem on getting 1600-1700 on a regular basis)

Like you I've only got the 1901- edition.

I've also seen a Spanish seller selling them on CD's

The Anglo French hammered series fascinates me....it makes you realise were aren't as squeaky clean (English,French,Norman) as we now like to label ourselves.

If you still want to get hold of the book ' The Guidebook and Catalogue of British Commonwealth Coins, 1649-1971, 3rd edition' by James Remick, then there are several copies on Abebooks.com

DaveG38

Thanks all! As for our local library getting Kraus - I really doubt it! I've had trouble getting common books from them. :angry: