British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Stechlin

Literature about strinking history (technically)

Hi

I'm collecting Pennies, espacially Victorian Copper Pennies and meanwhile I own a lot of varieties. I would be very interested, how those Pennies were manufactured. I feel a bit stupid, looking for example for a 1854 Penny in the 4 over 3 variety not even knowing, what the reason was using such strange dies. What material were the dies from? How many coins could be strucked with one die, before it has to be used a new one? How did the machines look, which screwed the dies on the blanks. How did the dies look (I once saw a picture of a few dies, as far as I know, there are a few shown in the BM)? Questions like this. I think that would be a nice idea for another Rotographic book. But until such a book is written, perhaps somebody can give me a hint for already existing literature to that subject. - I would prefer little text, but a lot of pictures, I'm a German reader :D - Interesting too would be similar literature concerning the hammered coinage.

Thanks in advance.

Holger

Hi

I'm collecting Pennies, espacially Victorian Copper Pennies and meanwhile I own a lot of varieties. I would be very interested, how those Pennies were manufactured. I feel a bit stupid, looking for example for a 1854 Penny in the 4 over 3 variety not even knowing, what the reason was using such strange dies. What material were the dies from? How many coins could be strucked with one die, before it has to be used a new one? How did the machines look, which screwed the dies on the blanks. How did the dies look (I once saw a picture of a few dies, as far as I know, there are a few shown in the BM)? Questions like this. I think that would be a nice idea for another Rotographic book. But until such a book is written, perhaps somebody can give me a hint for already existing literature to that subject. - I would prefer little text, but a lot of pictures, I'm a German reader :D - Interesting too would be similar literature concerning the hammered coinage.

Thanks in advance.

Holger

The most comprehensive book I have read on coin manufacturing is 'The art of coin making' a history of minting technology by Denis R Cooper, published by Spink & son, ISBN 0907 605 27 3.

Copper variations are not very well recorded genrally and mint records very scarce to non existant for the Copper period.

Most books like Bramahs and Pecks only record a few of the most well known variations.

John

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Holger

The most comprehensive book I have read on coin manufacturing is 'The art of coin making' a history of minting technology by Denis R Cooper, published by Spink & son, ISBN 0907 605 27 3.

Copper variations are not very well recorded genrally and mint records very scarce to non existant for the Copper period.

Most books like Bramahs and Pecks only record a few of the most well known variations.

John

How's that for timing, I have just put a copy on ebay for sale :D !!!!

Link to Ebay

Guten Tag;

Here is my soul example of the large size penny from Victoria:

gbpenny1854.jpg

Dated 1854, and freed from some stupid American plastic tomb thing.

I like these coins, they have heft, design, and just look good. :D

Link to Ebay

¿Trying to drum up competitive bids for my watched item aye?

Link to Ebay

¿Trying to drum up competitive bids for my watched item aye?

Thats modern ebay for you, you have to do the marketing yourself!! Good luck :D !!

Don't forget its worth bidding that little bit extra for something you really want ;) .

Thats an attractive penny by the way!!! Its good to see there are still some people releasing these poor things from captivity!!

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Holger

John

Hi, John

Thank you very much. I've started a few threads in this forum concerning special coins and I have been always very impressed by the quality of the answers, although I'm not really a beginner in collecting British coins (Victorian Pennies). And now I'm impressed once again. Not only the author, the title, the publisher and the ISBN, but also a personal statement to the market in general. And all this with a few words. Great! - I've checked the offers to the book, you've mentioned. To say it with Shakespeare: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy". There is an offer in ebay just at the right time :D , look to the next answer to my question.

Holger